Which Way Will My 2002 STX_R 1200 Sink if it Was Sitting Empty at the Dock?

its my 1st ski. i have an automatic bilge pump that i am installing. would it be better to mount the auto bilge pump in the front of the ski or in the rear? I'm not sure if it will sink bow first or stern first if it happens to fill up with water for some unknown reason.

+1
    Most skis tend to sink stern first. Thats usually were the water is coming in.

+1
    Rear at the lowest point in the hull

Quote Originally Posted by xxx2 View Post
    Rear at the lowest point in the hull
    +1
    Which end sinks first is irrelative (but FYI wis will generally be the rear as it holds more water volume due to the lack of a V), The pump needs to be at the lowest point practical BEFORE the ski starts to sink. I'd imagine this would be between the jet unit and the motor in most cases. It's definitely a case of closing the gate before the horse has bolted.

based on my experience with boats, i was thinking the same thing. i was just reading a couple of threads on other kawasaki skis sinking nose first. i didnt know if they had the exact same hull as mine in a new version or not. im just not that familiar with skis or kawasaki stuff. i did buy an auto bilge. hopefully i can fit it down in there. it looks real tight.

+1
    The most likely place for a leak is at the drive shaft... so rear mount is best.

Better to prevent the leak in the first place. If your drive shaft passes through the aluminum piece glued to the hull, pull it out and re-set it with a strong epoxy, then reinforce with fiberglass. Most of the older Kawi's eventually leak when that part becomes unglued.

+1
    Put it where it fits.

8. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_steven View Post
    The most likely place for a leak is at the drive shaft... so rear mount is best.

Better to prevent the leak in the first place. If your drive shaft passes through the aluminum piece glued to the hull, pull it out and re-set it with a strong epoxy, then reinforce with fiberglass. Most of the older Kawi's eventually leak when that part becomes unglued.
    would i be pulling the motor out to accomplish that?

Quote Originally Posted by aquaholic_ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_steven View Post

would i be pulling the motor out to accomplish that?
    Yes, or at least removing engine mount bolts and exhaust clamp and lifting engine up enough to pull the driveshaft out, then lowering engine back down

mounting the electric auto bilge was very easy. its right behind the battery about 6 inches from the transom and about 2 inches from the lowest part of the hull. through hull fitting is mounted up high on bow above the scuff rail. no need to move, lift or relocate anything. the whole operation took about 2 hours. i bought a $2 plug to put in the through hull fitting while riding it so i i roll it or submarine it, no water will come in through the fitting. whole ordeal cost around $60.

Thread Information