Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Issue when Sea Doo speedster sits long time in water, engine doesn't want to start!

I started having a strange issue lately with my 2007 sea doo speedster 155na. I'm ankered somewhere and the boat is just rocking by normal waves and after a couple of hours once i decided to go back. The engine doesn't want to start, i need to remove the spark plug, clean them up and place them back. Then the engine will start, what could be causing this?

A friend advise me too these step first:
    - Replace the oil, as it could be thin and passing thru the piston rings.
    - Don't use the standard NGK Sparkplug, as they burned faster.

What do you guys think? What oil should i use for the engine? Which spark plug is recommended?

+1
    Sounds like your plugs are wet when you pull them after sitting for a few hours? Your fuel system has a regulator that maintains pressure for re-start purposes after the engine is shut off, leaking fuel injector(s) will cause the problem your having need to have them tested & cleaned and see if they leak and how the pattern and delivery volume are working.

Careful if you're trying to doing your own work pressurized fuel lines can literally get under your skin.

Your engine is designed to run NGK DCP-R8E plugs and BRP recommends their Bombardier 5w40 Synthetic Oil and filter. The NGK plugs are a sure thing, oil is a much debated topic of pro's and con's and worth your time to search out and read oil threads popular alternatives are Valvoline motorcycle blend, RLI Bio Syn and Motul 300v & 8100X just to name a few.

Plenty of guys go through the trouble and expense of having oil analysis done after running a particular brand and it's worth your time to seek out that information and understand why they prefer one over another since those threads have a little more substance to them than opinions of what's best that are derived from the cheapest and most readily available source from the corner auto parts store.

thanks Waterluvr.

A friend pointed out also the fuel injectors leaking. I'm running the boat in salt water and he suggested to also add a water separation to the line. Also one thing i noticed that when i brought the boat for oil replacement i started to have the issues of no start when sitting in the water. He suggested that maybe they used a oil that was too thin and lost it thickness and was letting oil getting to the spark plugs. But now i suspect that the fuel injectors are the cause of the issue, as i was having hard start issue when the engine was warm.
    Last edited by saboaua; 05-09-2015 at 06:50 AM.

+1
    Your welcome, the problem you're experiencing will allow some gasoline past the rings and into the crankcase and you don't want that. I service and rebuild fuel injectors in my shop for customer's boats and ski's we do the work on start to finish and would encourage you to talk to your local shop asap about getting that remedied.

Gasoline is a terrible lubricant for crank bearings, piston skirts and rings that scenario is playing out each time a cylinder is flooded with large amounts of non atomized fuel when the boat is shut off and re-started. There are a couple reputable options for sending your injectors out for service and testing versus buying new if you want to do the work yourself and send them out for cleaning and rebuild.

Not sure if anyone here provides that service but I have good feedback on Doctor Injector Motorsports for cleaning and rebuild.

Thanks Waterluvr, but I'm outside the US. When i purchased the boat, they had removed the sc engine and replace it with a non sc engine. When removing the injectors today, the injectors are from the sc engine. Should i replace them with the 155na injectors?

+1
    Yes, part number #420874430 is the injector you need for that engine.

Issue when Sea Doo speedster sits long time in water, engine doesn't want to ...

Quote Originally Posted by Waterluvr View Post
    Yes, part number #420874430 is the injector you need for that engine.
    If the air intake aslo from the sc engine, would the non sc injectors fit? Or i will need to change the air intake also?

+1
    If your in saltwater there is a good chance your exhaust manifold is leaking water in to the cyclinder. If this is not happing when the boat is stored on land. It's probably not your injectors. I have seen more exhaust manifolds leaking than injectors.
    Easy way to tell...pull off the Jpipe and you probably be able to see the leak.

9. +1 by:

Thanks, i will check it out too and see if that's causing me issue and the boat is use in salt water.

Issue when Sea Doo speedster sits long time in water, engine doesn't want to ...

Update: It was the exhaust manifold causing the leak. Thanks to joewharton2 for the tip! In the picture on the right the exhaust with the two holes and the used exhaust to be installed on the left. Also will be replacing the j-pipe as it has allot of the sea salt built up due to the leak.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File Jun 07, 12 27 23 PM.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	361391
    Last edited by saboaua; 06-07-2015 at 11:52 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information