Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Calling all polaris gurus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So here's my situation, I have a 96 sl700 ( great ski ) and I have just put in the gem 3 ignition kit from sbt over the winter. I started it up today and it fires up first try, which is a great sign. Now I have a question about the timing. I couldn't figure out the static timing it just won't work for me, I'm much better off using the timing light which I have experience with. So I have read many different posts but cannot find a straight answer, when I set the mark on the flywheel do I refer to the 96 polaris manual or say any polaris 2 cylinder domestic enigne manual such as the 02 vintage carbureted for example. I have looked in both manuals and the process is both different, for the 96 manual I mark it at .081 inches for the 18 degrees of timing but for the newer gen 3 skis it should be marked at 0.100 inches for the 20 degrees of timing.

i wanna take the ski to Lake Ontario to set the timing since it's going to be a beautiful day.

the cdi that I have purchased from sbt has the code 4010803

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    My understanding is that static timing on your engine would be matched with the Gen III ignition in a 2000 or newer 700 engine without the High Start flywheel. Your stock 1996 flywheel is not High Start.

Polaris only used the High Start flywheel in specific models starting around 2002. See my signature links for the specifics.

I think the SBT replacement/update CDI for the Polaris red engines have a one-size-fits-all timing curve, but at the moment I forget the exact timing spec at 3000 RPM.

Banned User
    +1
    Pretty sure its 18 [email protected]

+1
    Thanks guys I'll try the 18 degrees at 3000 rpm and see how it goes. I'll post the out come maybe it will help out more polaris fans

+1
    so after countless hours of trying to get the timing just right i think i finally got it. i had to retard the timing a lot, i think the sbt cdi is made for the highstart flywheels of the newer generation of polaris. as of right now i have my flywheel to the max spot and im at about 18ish degrees at 3000 rpms, it was hard to get an accurate reading because the timing mark on the flywheel was jumping around so i said good enough. the ski starts up right away and it has tons of power, it feels kind of sluggish at lower rpms before you get up onto plan, i cant remember if it did this before the gen 3 update but it doesnt feel like its misfiring or anything just more vibration than i can remember from last summer, not sure if i should be concerned about this or not.

as to make sure i did this correctly, when i have the timing gun set at 18 degrees at 3000 rpm and i have it shinning down, it should be at 18 degrees on the flywheel marks correct? or should it be on zero. im pretty sure i did it correct

Banned User
    +1
    If you are setting the timing light at 18 then you should read zero on the flywheel. If you set the timing light to zero you should see 18 on the flywheel.

+1
    thats for the motor spinning at 3000 rpm correct? Say I have the flyeheel marked just like the manual says and I have the timing hun set to 18. When the motor is spinning at 3000 rpm the flyeheel should read 0 on the markings, then at that time the timing would be correct. Just trying to make sure I understand this 100%

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakespiteri View Post
    so after countless hours of trying to get the timing just right i think i finally got it. i had to retard the timing a lot, i think the sbt cdi is made for the highstart flywheels of the newer generation of polaris. as of right now i have my flywheel to the max spot and im at about 18ish degrees at 3000 rpms, it was hard to get an accurate reading because the timing mark on the flywheel was jumping around so i said good enough. the ski starts up right away and it has tons of power, it feels kind of sluggish at lower rpms before you get up onto plan, i cant remember if it did this before the gen 3 update but it doesnt feel like its misfiring or anything just more vibration than i can remember from last summer, not sure if i should be concerned about this or not.

as to make sure i did this correctly, when i have the timing gun set at 18 degrees at 3000 rpm and i have it shinning down, it should be at 18 degrees on the flywheel marks correct? or should it be on zero. im pretty sure i did it correct
    When the engine is running properly it should feel quite snappy and responsive, not sluggish. Once warmed up, of course.

The carburetor settings must also be correct of course. And the correct spark plugs, compression, good spark plug wires, etc.

+1
    Yeah I have all that stuff correct. It's been completely restored and now the last step is the timing which Im just trying to understand the concept to make sure i have got it correct

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakespiteri View Post
    thats for the motor spinning at 3000 rpm correct? Say I have the flyeheel marked just like the manual says and I have the timing hun set to 18. When the motor is spinning at 3000 rpm the flyeheel should read 0 on the markings, then at that time the timing would be correct. Just trying to make sure I understand this 100%
    This is correct. I would personally mark 18 on the flywheel and set the gun to zero

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information