Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Paul_S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Mississauga - Ontario - Canada
    Posts
    35

    General question before first time on water on my new 1300

    Before I go on the water I want to lube up my pwc so it will be read for my first ever run, I seen online ppl use the Yamaha cable luber delux, is that over kill for throttle cable and trim lubrication?

    - what is a good general marine lubricant I should use in my Pwc?

    - after each use should I be charging my battery, how do I know it is still good, maybe I should replace it, what model/number is the battery for a 2005 gp1300r? The guy I bought it never changed it for 5 years, I did a few start ups with no problem.



    Thanks


  2. #2
    OzarkYamMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Lake Of The Ozarks
    Posts
    2,152
    +1
    295
    Hello and welcome to the Hulk. If you are in salt water ... maybe lube after every ride. But seeing that you are in Ontario, a good lube @ the beginning of the season will normally be enough. As for the battery, I would purchase new about $90 bucks. You just never know. No need to charge all season .... until winter storage. Go with a sealed battery. I use blaster lube it works well on non salt skis. I would however, always check entire ski before first ride of the day ..... every time. Just a quick look-see, to make sure all bolts, hoses, cables look & feel right. Always start your ski on land & run for a few seconds before launching. Have fun & good luck

  3. #3
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,150
    +1
    129
    Every GP1300r had a throttle cable recall, call yamaha with your HIN and see if it's been replaced or not. The cable on my 2006 was replaced before it even left the dealership in 2006, but it still broke exactly how the recall described. Yamaha wouldn't honor the replacement (even though the replacement cable looked different obviously it wasn't replaced but not worth a lawsuit that would cost more than replacement) and it ended up costing me $480 to replace last week. It's $100 for the cable, 3 hours of labor, an exhaust gasket, and I replaced all the throttle body and airbox clamps they were getting gnarley.


    Also, put the factory exhaust back on, the free flow does nothing but take away performance. About 2mph off top speed to be exact.

  4. #4
    Almost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cape May, NJ
    Posts
    778
    +1
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by riick370 View Post
    Also, put the factory exhaust back on, the free flow does nothing but take away performance. About 2mph off top speed to be exact.
    That depends on your definition of performance. Not everyone is chasing speed and rather have better low and mid range then the 1-2mph you loose on top. But yes. It's usually better to get rid of it unless you are running higher compression.

  5. #5
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,150
    +1
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by Almost View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by riick370 View Post
    Also, put the factory exhaust back on, the free flow does nothing but take away performance. About 2mph off top speed to be exact.
    That depends on your definition of performance. Not everyone is chasing speed and rather have better low and mid range then the 1-2mph you loose on top. But yes. It's usually better to get rid of it unless you are running higher compression.
    There's a lot of science that goes into the design of a 2-stroke exhaust it's not like a 4-stroke where bigger is better and there is no data that supports the claim it helps with low/mid range. Adding the free flow exhaust pipe totally destroys the acoustics of the exhaust which is designed to help scavenge the exhaust gasses out of the motor, so in reality the "free flow" exhaust is actually a restriction. I'm not going to do the math, but 3mph off the top end is a substantial amount of horsepower and you're not moving that power down lower that's not how 2-strokes work. It's a loss throughout the whole RPM range.

  6. #6
    Prism's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    "New" Jersey
    Posts
    826
    +1
    99
    Is this the first time you'll ever be on a pwc? Are you riding in salt or fresh water? Does everyone need a boating safety course to use pwc in Canada? If not, do you know what the different color bouys mean? Can you tell a no wake zone by looking at the bouys? Do you know the rules when engaging another craft? Do you know what "stand on" and "giveway" vessels are and who is who? Have a working fire extinguisher and signal of some type? I'm only asking because I don't know Canadian law. Here in the U.S.,we didn't need a safety course until about 15 years ago. They made it mandatory for pwc users because of the accident rate. After a few more years, the accident rate went down a little but when accidents did occur, the usual fault shifted from pwc users to the boater. Now everyone that pilots on inland water needs this course...pwc AND boats. I'm not preaching this but you'll feel more confident if you take the course and really try to learn. Maybe you already have and know this stuff. The best piece knowledge I can pass on is this: on a 1300R whenever the engine is on the craft is underway. There are no brakes, neutral or reverse. This is not a huge deal until you try to dock for the first time and panic. New people spend all day safely on their skis up until they bring it in and try to load or dock for the first time. That being said, go with someone who is very experienced with pwc. Watch, listen and learn. It will keep you from looking like a total noob. Nothing funnier than setting up a lawn chair at the launch on a busy Saturday and watching the games begin. Welcome to Green Hulk and the world of PWC! It's very very fun....enjoy!

  7. #7
    Paul_S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Mississauga - Ontario - Canada
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism View Post
    Is this the first time you'll ever be on a pwc? Are you riding in salt or fresh water? Does everyone need a boating safety course to use pwc in Canada? If not, do you know what the different color bouys mean? Can you tell a no wake zone by looking at the bouys? Do you know the rules when engaging another craft? Do you know what "stand on" and "giveway" vessels are and who is who? Have a working fire extinguisher and signal of some type? I'm only asking because I don't know Canadian law. Here in the U.S.,we didn't need a safety course until about 15 years ago. They made it mandatory for pwc users because of the accident rate. After a few more years, the accident rate went down a little but when accidents did occur, the usual fault shifted from pwc users to the boater. Now everyone that pilots on inland water needs this course...pwc AND boats. I'm not preaching this but you'll feel more confident if you take the course and really try to learn. Maybe you already have and know this stuff. The best piece knowledge I can pass on is this: on a 1300R whenever the engine is on the craft is underway. There are no brakes, neutral or reverse. This is not a huge deal until you try to dock for the first time and panic. New people spend all day safely on their skis up until they bring it in and try to load or dock for the first time. That being said, go with someone who is very experienced with pwc. Watch, listen and learn. It will keep you from looking like a total noob. Nothing funnier than setting up a lawn chair at the launch on a busy Saturday and watching the games begin. Welcome to Green Hulk and the world of PWC! It's very very fun....enjoy!
    I got my boating license about 10 years ago, I drove a pwc a few years back, rules of the water I'm ok with, this is though my first personal one I bought a few months back.
    Thanks for the advice, docking and launching will be fun...

  8. #8
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Elephant Butte New Mexico
    Posts
    6,518
    +1
    1,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism View Post
    Is this the first time you'll ever be on a pwc? Are you riding in salt or fresh water? Does everyone need a boating safety course to use pwc in Canada? If not, do you know what the different color bouys mean? Can you tell a no wake zone by looking at the bouys? Do you know the rules when engaging another craft? Do you know what "stand on" and "giveway" vessels are and who is who? Have a working fire extinguisher and signal of some type? I'm only asking because I don't know Canadian law. Here in the U.S.,we didn't need a safety course until about 15 years ago. They made it mandatory for pwc users because of the accident rate. After a few more years, the accident rate went down a little but when accidents did occur, the usual fault shifted from pwc users to the boater. Now everyone that pilots on inland water needs this course...pwc AND boats. I'm not preaching this but you'll feel more confident if you take the course and really try to learn. Maybe you already have and know this stuff. The best piece knowledge I can pass on is this: on a 1300R whenever the engine is on the craft is underway. There are no brakes, neutral or reverse. This is not a huge deal until you try to dock for the first time and panic. New people spend all day safely on their skis up until they bring it in and try to load or dock for the first time. That being said, go with someone who is very experienced with pwc. Watch, listen and learn. It will keep you from looking like a total noob. Nothing funnier than setting up a lawn chair at the launch on a busy Saturday and watching the games begin. Welcome to Green Hulk and the world of PWC! It's very very fun....enjoy!

    BEST ANSWER

    at the least know what side port is on

  9. #9
    Prism's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    "New" Jersey
    Posts
    826
    +1
    99
    As for lubes and such... I haven't done much lubricating of my cables. I bought my 1st 2003 GPR at the very end of the 2003 season as a leftover. I've only sprayed lube once or twice on the cables since. Now please note my skis have never seen salt water and cable problems are known to be mostly on salt water skis. I used a product called "deep creep" and it's a penetrating lube that wicks very easily. I use straight silicone spray on everything under the seat (engine compartment). It really keeps it looking new and water beads right off. I do that twice, maybe three times a season. Not sure of the battery part number, but I use a sealed powersports battery from Walmart. It has a picture of a pwc on the front. CCA is better than the stock battety. The only thing is, I had to make up a 1" thick wooden spacer to put under the battery to take up space because it's a little shorter. Works great and use them on both my GPRs. I use marine grease to pack my trailer bearings and the grease fitting for the coupler seal. (Located near the top of cyl 3)

  10. #10
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Elephant Butte New Mexico
    Posts
    6,518
    +1
    1,266
    walmart batteries are low grade.


    Do yourself a big favor and read forum posts on the DEKA agm battery. You can pick up oem branded versions of it at every major auto parts store.

    DEKA=Made In America=More jobs for US!

  11. +1 by:


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Two quick VX ride plate questions before strapping it on my FZS
    By MikeR in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 09:15 PM
  2. Just had my first ride on my new GTX
    By gutter in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 05:55 PM
  3. first ride on my new skis
    By luckyc1423 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-07-2009, 08:04 PM
  4. My first time on a blaster
    By Dentwizard in forum Yamaha Old School Skis
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 08:25 AM
  5. first mod on my new RXT????
    By havoc in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-12-2007, 01:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •