Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

GP1300r wont start! Please help

I hate to post another wont start thread, but I am at my fed up!

So end of last season was out riding a hour or so just cruising along and get a total lose of power. I just coast to a stop with the motor running, then it dies when I stop. Dash lights up and I try it a few times. It fires up and I take off towards land but 15 secs later it dies again same way.

Get home start looking it over and decide to try another battery. It works, or so I think. I believe it has 13+ volts at idle, cant remember the exact number but over 12.5. I clean it up and slide it in the shed. Once every 3-4 weeks I hook up the hose fire it up and let it run a bit with no issues at all.

Decide to take it out for the first time of the year. Launch it, crank it and im off. Ride around 2 hours total, stopping at a few sand bars to cool off etc. fired up first try every time. I didn't venture to far from the launch until at 45 mins; I decide okay its running well so I head out 2-3 miles from the launch in the intercostal.

Low and behold, cruising about 30 and lose of power and it cruises to an to a stop then dies. I fiddle with it and it decides to crank and run 10-15 secs max then dies. it cranks and barely turns over 1-2 times and stops and wont do anything. So I bob around looking for someone, no one even comes near me. I jump in and head to land. Finally I make it ashore, tired and pissed. Whelp coast guard post was near by watching me the whole time I guess; I swam into some protected exclusion zone yadda yadda. They chase me down; I explain my case and say I am just trying to get back to the ramp. Instead of towing me back, they do an inspect on my vessel on the beach as im walking it. They then tell me its a long way to drag a ski along the beach but good luck and get out of there. so 3 hours later I get back to the ramp, a very nice guy towed me the last 1/4 mile which was nice as the sand ate up my booty cheeks at that point.

So I get loaded and home. I throw the battery on the charger and its almost dead. I hook up a different battery that is fresh then old battery after it charger and nothing. Dash lights up and bilge runs but does even click or crank now. The battery and rectifier connections are clean. Impeller looks clear of debris. I am going to take the plugs out and try to spin it by hand next, but that wouldn't explain the loose of power while running then dying in deep water.

It was lengthy but I hope you got a laugh at my misery. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old lady is rushing me out the door sorry for the typos!

Banned User
    +1
    Hopefully the motor didnt get flooded from towing.

Sounds like your battery may not be charging.

Whelp looked down the spark plug hole no water or excessive oil. Didn't get a chance to try and spin it yet

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I woudn't be wasting any more time to get this engine running. There is a good chance you took some water if you were towing at more than 5kts without cutting the pump outlet off.

No clicking at all means the solenoid isn't getting power

check the fuse at the electric vault..if it's blown there should be a spare in there in a plastic sack near the fusehold

no dice..remove the vault an open the cover to gain access to the starter solenoid.

clear area of all fuel fumes

remove plugs and ground wires.

rags over cylinders

little prayer to Poseidon

short solenoid with giant wrench.

hopefully no water will come out

then start backtracking from the hot lead connection thru the electric box.

I'd suspect when you had the battery out the console reverted to its default unlock code AAAA. When the console Is locked, no starter solenoid power.

as a matter of fact..forget everything else..that's the problem right now, assuming of course that my memory is working and the 1300 doesn't use a wireless dongle.

if that isn't it, clear the engine as outlined above.

Well jumped the starter relay it cranked with no plugs and no water came out. Put the plugs back in and jumped the relay again and fired up. But only 12.7 volts at idle.

Guess the starter relay and voltage regulator are bad?

Banned User
    +1
    Time to get out a meter and do some digging into the electrical system.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    good news all around then!

get a meter on the solenoid and see if it gets 12v when you hit the button. Cheap enough fix...be carful putting the cover back on the electric vault.

regulators are easy enough to deal with.

what are you getting for a few seconds at 5k rpm?

you're getting something out of it...see what it reads at speed before you buy a new regulator.

Nothing on the output side of the relay when I depress the start button the dash lights up and pump runs so assume the button works correctly.

Getting 13.7v at idle now and 14.6ish at 4k and 5k.

+1
    You may have a melted down piston my friend. Try a compression test or simply pull the head and look. When you stick a piston they act like that. Bogs then won't crank or restart because the piston is over expanded from heat/ melting. After a few minutes to cool they'll start again and run awhile. I stuck a piston on a 99GP1200 once and was 30 miles from the dock. Rode the 30 miles stopping for 15 minutes a bunch of times to get back. A compression test and pulling head confirmed melted #3 piston. Ended up trading that ski in.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information