Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

98 Kawasaki 1100 stx

Got this ski from a good friend. Said he winterized it himself every year. It sat in a carage for 4 years. So the first thing I did was a compression check with a new guage from Harbor Fright and fully charge battery. Put Marvel Mistery oil in all 3 cylinders and let it sit for a few hours. Compression numbers were #1 - 90, #2 - 0, #3 - 90. I don't have the experience for a top end rebuilt. Before I sell it on Craigslist, thoughts on what to try next. Thanks Jim

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    throw your "pal" a good beating. Needs a top end and likely an engine

if it is in nice shape it will sell pretty quick. popular ski.

and welcome to GH!

+1
    Bummer!

In good condition, those are worth about $2K. You're probably looking at a minimum of about $600 to do a top overhaul, if you do it yourself. It may need carb work, will need oil line replacement for sure. Might need a cylinder sleeve or block, or you might get away with boring it. After sitting so long, you'd be foolish not to pull the fuel tank and flush it out, etc.

What kind of shape is the display in? Those are expensive.

Excellent all-around 'Ski, anybody can ride it. No electric trim to fail.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    this appears to be outside of the op's comfort zone

how much are you into this soon to be disaster?

what's your pal say about the blown cylinder? ( the other are so low the engine is high hour or never winterized)

The display works.

when I told my friend about a blown engine he was surprised. He did say he only thought the ski needed a tune up. I guess I know why it ran rough

i think I am going to put it on Craigslist and see what I can get for the trailer and ski. But one more question.... Can a complete top end kit be done w/o taking the engine out? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jjbine View Post
    The display works.

when I told my friend about a blown engine he was surprised. He did say he only thought the ski needed a tune up. I guess I know why it ran rough

i think I am going to put it on Craigslist and see what I can get for the trailer and ski. But one more question.... Can a complete top end kit be done w/o taking the engine out? Thanks
    No, even if you could get the exhaust manifolds off in the hull, compressing the rings as you lowered the new barrel on would be near impossible.
    Getting the engine out is the easy bit, one exhaust clamp, the stator and starter motor wires, a few water hoses and 4 engine mount bolts
    Besides, when you remove the barrel, you can almost guarantee a bit of water, dirt or gasket goo fill fall into the bottom end, you need to be able to tip the engine onto its side to clean this out, with reeds removed. A sauce bottle filled with 1/3 2 stroke oil, 2/3 petrol works a treat. When the fuel dries it leaves a ample coating of oil over the bearing that pevents any corrosion whilst getting the barrel bored etc

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jjbine View Post
    Can a complete top end kit be done w/o taking the engine out? Thanks
    I've done it on a 750--once. It took two people to put the cylinder block back on. I used hose clamps to squeeze the piston rings while lowering the cylinders, it took about an hour to remove the clamps. In the end, it really didn't save any time. No way would I try it on a 3-cylinder engine.

Where are you located?

Thanks for the info steve45. I think this project is beyond my comfort zone. I've also heard once you get involved the project will/can become a money hole. I live in the Toledo Ohio area and don't have a friend knowledgable enough to help. So, sadly I am going to put it on Craig's to see what I can get for it.

+1
    I find it hard to believe that cylinder has ZERO compression. You need a quality gauge for compression reading. Not a POS from Harbor Freight.

How do I know this? Because once I rebuilt a perfectly good motor, but guess what, the gauge was faulty !

Buy a new gauge, and double check compression.....JUST in case.

Quote Originally Posted by slothman View Post
    I find it hard to believe that cylinder has ZERO compression. You need a quality gauge for compression reading. Not a POS from Harbor Freight.

How do I know this? Because once I rebuilt a perfectly good motor, but guess what, the gauge was faulty !

Buy a new gauge, and double check compression.....JUST in case.
    I agree zero is fairly unlikely, especially if the engine was serviceable when it was used last.
    I got about 10psi with a small hole above the top ring land

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=231360

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information