Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1999 GTX RFI not cooling/peeing

Hello all! I'm new to the forum so thank you in advance for your help. My circumstances are such: my 1999 GTX RFI is not peeing when in the water. When I start it at home with the garden hose attached it pees/cools fine but when on the lake it doesn't pee out of the back. The engine runs at idle for a while then begins to overheat. Any clue as to why it seems to cool/pee with the garden hose attached yet not cool/pee when it is in the water at the lake? Blocked lines? Not sucking up water for some reason? I've checked the impeller and there is no blockage whatsoever. It has good thrust.

+1
    I have looked all over for a picture of the block drains on the two possible types of cylinders you will have on that RFI engine and I guess I haven't taken any when on the bench.

The usual suspects in a cooling problem are the low points in the cylinder jackets where water exits from the bottom of the cylinder. Sand, minerals and small shells can plug up the area of the cylinder casting where it all collects before it exits out the elbow on both cylinders and travels to the T fitting and out as one line.

I just grabbed a set of 787 jugs off a carb engine and took these pics to give you some idea of what to look for, on all ski's and boats that I service regularly I have cut the main line going back to the water box and installed an inline brass splice so I can introduce low pressure air back into both of the drains from the outside in to to backflush the block drains and open them back up so they flow properly.

Really important when you introduce -100* non toxic engine antifreeze it makes it's way back out those drains and displaces all the water trapped in the low points to protect from freeze damage. In your case I suspect they are plugged and the source of your cooling troubles.

In the the third picture I drew an arrow to show the point of exit higher up where the exhaust mounts on the outside of the cylinder, that is what gets plugged up and prevents water from entering the jacket in the exhaust manifold to flow out of the fitting where the whizzer line hooks up.

Try a little low pressure compressed air to get things flowing again, I often have to pull the cover and head off on engines that we haven't had as regular service customers to get access to the inside of the cylinder to clean those out and get them flowing again.

Wow thank you waterluvr! I will heed your advice by checking out the cylinder jackets and using the compressed air. This forum is awesome!!

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Check the wearing on the jetpump for clearance pressure. On the hose your forcing water into it. In the water the impeller and wearing combo provides pressure to the cooling system.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallyflats View Post
    Wow thank you waterluvr! I will heed your advice by checking out the cylinder jackets and using the compressed air. This forum is awesome!!
    Your welcome, I'm always glad to lend a hand when someone needs help and sticks with it to find resolution. The long and short of it is getting cooling water from the pump to where it needs to be is the easy part, the main pump and flush lines are 1/2" ID and less prone to stoppage. Those points of exit in the water jackets are critical because of their smaller restricted size and once plugged up there's no replacement water flowing to cool things off.

+1
    Any chance that you left out he seal between the pump and the pump support that keeps the fresh water pressure from leaking out? Also, did you clean the screen for the water pickup in the pump while it was out... I would point my finger at the pump end, not the engine end of things... just speaking from my personal experiences...

Wait.... Isn't the 'pee' stream out the back only an indicator for when hooked to the garden house? When ski is running it doesn't shoot this stream out the back because the flow is reversed (hence not flushing).

tallyflats is referring to the stream out the the rear tow hook, yes?

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sea-one View Post
    Check the wearing on the jetpump for clearance pressure. On the hose your forcing water into it. In the water the impeller and wearing combo provides pressure to the cooling system.
    HELLO?

I have an 02 gtx di, all new motor and just about all new everything else and today the port out the side of mine stopped peeing, it came back for a bit but not near as strong as its twin sister and then quit again for the rest of the ride back to the dock, nothing seems over heating, I can keep hand on the cylinders as long as I want, and can keep my hand on the exhaust for a good 3-4 count like always, any idea's???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Chaos View Post
    Wait.... Isn't the 'pee' stream out the back only an indicator for when hooked to the garden house? When ski is running it doesn't shoot this stream out the back because the flow is reversed (hence not flushing).

tallyflats is referring to the stream out the the rear tow hook, yes?
    There should always be water coming out of the indicator outlet near the tow hook. Even though the water flow is reversed when it is supplied by the garden hose, water is still circulating through the system.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information