Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

Strange but true tales from the launch ramp....

So I get a frantic call yesterday...isn't that how your day always begins?

To condense the conversation..

A brand new 2015 4-tec nearly sinks because for some as of yet unexplained reason the dealer removed the boarding step ( I have theories) and the tech for yet another unexplained reason did not flag the ski as not being water ready.

Ski was sold, minus the boarding step

You can guess what happened next...

The guy launches his brand new zero hour ski with his wife and 9 year old aboard.

Fully satisfied that they got it in the water they take a quick spin around the marina no-wake zone, then tie off to the public doc to prepare for a full day on the water.

The return to take the ski out some time later, but don't notice how low it's sitting in the water, or the fact that the rear access hatch was not fully latched.

A few minutes later the ski is in limp mode with the rear deck under water. They manage to get back to the ramp and they get the ski on the trailer..water is pouring out everywhere, including the bolt holes for the boarding step....

So..what do you think is going to happen when this guy pulls into the dealer Monday morning?

I advised him that nothing less then a new ski is called for as from his description the entire IBR motor was under water which means there was at least 8 inches of water in the hull. The clock on the ski is going to show from what he tells me about 20 minutes total engine time.

I suspect the dealer will simply offer to extend the warranty..and owe nothing to this guy for making such a horrid memory of his first ever outing on his very first jetski.

Even a brand new ski isn't going to erase that very bad memory

I would guess that the boarding step was removed because they needed the brackets for another customer (I've replaced quite a few of the plastic ones to date), and the attachment bolts penetrate the hull fully.

Let's hear what you think is going to happen..and after I have a handful of possible, we'll do the survey.

then with some luck, I'll hear back from this guy as far as the outcome of his Monday morning visit to the dealer.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    Wow... I'm sure this poor fellow and his family will be 'somewhat unsure' of their watercraft for some time to come...

I'm thinking it was simply a break-down in communication at the dealer.

I certainly hope that the dealer would not KNOWINGLY let the ski be delivered in the interest of profit vs, safety/reliability/reputation etc. ... Albeit, it seems to be an increasingly popular practice in business today.

A new replacement craft is what the dealer should do, and I would think, some type of addl' compensation for G/P.
    It may have been completely accidental, but the dealer should be striving, at this point, to instill/re-instill the customers confidence in the business, as well as the product. Its not like the dealer should be offering to 'retire' the guy because of stress & inconvenience; but there should be some type of amicable recompense w/o the customer taking full advantage of the dealer, or visa-versa.

Bottom line: the fault still lies with the dealer because someone, ANYONE, from the dealer should have noticed the HOLES IN THE HULL on pre-delivery/delivery inspection of the craft by dealer personnel, and then again when walking the customer around the craft during delivery.

I, too, have had problems with the mfr. boarding step. Mine is currently broken. Just the screws/bols and whats left of the mtg. brackets... The broken parts will remain in place until I replace the step...

+1
    Maybe the Lemon Law will apply

+1
    This is a joke right? If this did happen the dealer and salesperson are todal idiots! how do you not see driilholls for the step mounts? Fuc#n idiots.

+1
    sadly, no joke. BTW my jokes are far better..typically how big the mosquitos are on card sound road...

we'll see if I hear back from the guy next week....

either way, someone will end up with the ski.
    Even if customer gets a new one, they'll sell this one as a 'low hour ex demo'

+1
    so...

how will the conversation go when this guy hits the dealer on Monday...?

we already know a couple of things..

1-there is a high likelihood that the ski will be returned and a new one issued
    2-the sunken ski will be refurbished ( in simple terms they will leave a hair dryer in it for a few hours, do a super detail job and make up some story about it being "too much jetski for that old guy") and sold as "used" since it is safe to assume that if this new guy put it in the water, it has been titled and numbered. Can't be sold as new anymore. They throw in 6 years of extended warranty and sell for invoice and it's out of their vision. Somebody thinks they got a smoking deal.
    They get off cheap doing that. HAD this guy had a more serious event, the dealership could have been bankrupted as I believe the court could easily award for the accidental death of a child under 12 several million bucks.
    3-the last thing the dealer wants to do is try to screw this guy as he'll go direct to BRP if they do.

My vote is for #4:

The dealership should keep that ski around for a demo and to remind every single employee from the floorsweeper to GM that customer safety HAS to be job #1.

We all know what happened when that dealer tech forgot to put the seat strap on that famous Polaris that cost somebody a few million in settlement and the death of the Polaris PWC business. No doubt BRP would tweek the noses of the owners for removing the boarding step on a new ski in the first place since the cat fell thru the bottom of that wet bag and onto the wedding cake in full view of the grooms mother.

+1
    Keep us informed on this, the mosquitos will be quit large in the next few weeks!!

+1
    The dealer's course of action is dependent on the cost to make the unit functional again. If the engine ingested enough water to hydrolock it or if corrosion sets in while it is being diagnosed, they have to come up with the cash to make it serviceable again. They will have to do some smooth talking with the warranty claims department at BRP to get this engine covered.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by STP View Post
    If this did happen the dealer and salesperson are todal idiots!
    Never seen the words dealer, salesperson, and idiot in the same sentence before!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information