2002 Kawasaki 1100 DI No Compression in 2 cylinders

I recently bought a used Kawasaki 1100 DI from the local classified. The machine fired up when I went to look at it and seemed to be in good working order. When I took it to the lake, it wouldn't start when it was in the water. I was finally able to get it started out of the water, then when I put it in the water it was bogged down and wouldn't get above about 2000 RPM. I took it to the mechanic and he did a compression test. Cylinder 1 had decent compression but cylinders 2 and 3 have 0 compression. He didn't open the engine at all and his suggestion was to find a used motor and replace it completely rather than doing the repairs. My question is does this seem like a logical solution? I was able to find 2 rebuilt engines (both around $700). Any idea how many hours of labor I should expect this to take my mechanic? Or should I just cut my losses and sell this thing at a loss and find a different ski? Any suggestions/insight would be very much appreciated!!

No rip her apart and fix it yourself. follow the service manual, these two strokes are not complicated at all. Rule of thumbs with used engines is you have no idea what your getting and its pretty mucha. Gamble.

From now on compression test when purchasing is very good, test riding is even better.

3. +1 by:

Welcome aboard, avsmann33!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your new 'Ski. You probably can't get any satisfaction from the seller, but I'd at least talk to him.

As you've learned, NEVER buy a PWC without riding it on the water, or at least a compression test.

Still, I find it hard to believe that it would even start with two dead cylinders. Did you watch the mechanic perform the compression test?

Thread Information