Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New wear ring and impeller BEWARE

I had to post this because, It don't say it anywhere when you buy a new wear ring and impeller, that you should start it up in the water and not on a hoses. I just lost a new wear ring because of this and praying I didn't hurt my impeller. So here it is, BEWARE

+1
    Sounds like you used an aftermarket wear ring. A new prop/wear ring shouldn't be to tight that you can't turn it with your hands. Even then, in cases where its a little tight, I spray with lithium grease for the initial start up.

What wear ring?
    What prop?

Wear ring was from here and impeller was from the stage 1 kit for the 2008 rxp-x 255 with was from here

+1
    I know......you're kicking yourself in the ass. You are not the first person to do that, just the latest: You start the ski, then see a bunch of white looking shavings blowing around the ski. Then its WTF is all that shit flying around when all of a suddenly it dawns on you.......ask me how I know!
    Last edited by 1tommygunner1927; 05-11-2015 at 08:19 AM.

+1
    As Bob said, yes it happens and from what I was told after it happened to me it is fairly common. I'm not sure that it would make any difference if it had been in the water or just on the hose. Since then I make sure they turn freely when I install new impellers or wear rings before the pump goes in. From what I have seen it is also common for Solas impellers to have at least 1 blade with a funky pitch regardless if it is supposedly checked at Riva.

The worst is, it had perfect clearness when I put it together and after you saying that with the blades there is only one with the burn mark. Man I got bad luck. So what do I do when I put in a new OEM wear ring now

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I see quite a few pump jobs hosed up by the DIY crew around here. If the pump has fixing screws for the wear ring, they typically screw up getting the hole drilled correctly and pinch the wear ring a little and that leads to some problems..which of course they deny any knowledge of. "look what just started happening"

well when I pull it part I notice the screws are loose or have penetrated the ring.

I always give the impeller wear ring a good shot of lithium grease before a first spin up..and I test spin it on the bench to assure there isn't any warpage on the pump body to cause problems either.

+1
    Pretty sure instructions note on most wear rings to make sure its lubed!

Will I just got a new OEM wear ring today and there nothing in there say to do anything? I'm just wondering is there different wear rings for different skis because the one I put in to it was blue and this one I got today is grey

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    yeah..the blue ring was seadoo oem with some small design changes for the 4-tec..never seen a gray one before.

really oem?..part #?

I noticed the third party vendors are now using blue plastic for theirs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information