Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Steering went out, taking on water

I had the ski out Saturday for the first time since I replaced prop, Carbon seal, pto boot and bearing, and added a 4" intake. Everything was running good when all the sudden I lost steering to the right. I quickly stopped and popped the seat and was taking on water quickly. Put it on the trailer and that was that. Just pulled the pump as I could see where the steering cable goes though the hull in the back and it broke that that holds it in place in half. Got the other parts off but half of the part is still threaded into the port if that makes sense. Any idea how to extract the remaining piece?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	358573  

Perfect thank you, now just to figure out how to remove the rest of the plastic piece stuck in the tube

I've just replaced mine tonight with alloy ones. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	358576

Nice. On the steering cable, now that I have the hardware removed can I just pull it back inside the hull? Or is anything holding it on the inside? If I pull it out I'm hoping I can use an extractor, otherwise my plan is to find a cylinder, like pvc that fits snug inside the part that's left in the port, and glue it to the broken part on the inside and once the glue dries twist it back out

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    Elephant Butte New Mexico
    I use a slightly modified pair of needle nose to get those things out.

be carful, you can't bend a steering cable too much--with he pump out of the way it isn't that tough of a job.

like that alloy cable nut shown at the ebaee link above

Palm Harbor, FL
    Replace both the steering and reverse with aluminum versions or you risk going through the same crap. Also be sure to run some RTV between the pump and the nozzle. I also run a smear between the pump and the pump shoe for good measure. Never had to fight cavitation once.

Ormond Beach,fl
    i taped the new cable to the old one and fished it thru(it worked for the most part) think i ultimately ended up cutting the old cable in half to get it sure you get those cable sleeve things in correctly when installing.

Athol, MA
    It's the half moon pieces...install them backwards and as you tighten down that nut they will split the nut in pieces. If you look at them you'll see they taper..flat side don't want to be looking down inside the barrel of them when installed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information