Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2010 vx110 sunk in salt...needs some help

Im new to this forum, if something like this has already been talked about let me know please. So heres the deal, I have a 2010 vx 110, last summer it was sunk at my dock in salt water. I pulled it out, drained it, washed it out with fresh water. I had it serviced by the yamaha dealer, they did the usual flush with fresh oil and had it running again. It was running fine when I put it in the barn for the winter. But it wouldn't start this spring, I took it back to the dealer last week and they told me it had low compression and they think new piston rings and $2000 would get it running again. I decided that I'm going to try to fix this ski up myself anyone have any ideas to get it running before I start the tear down of this ski?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    how long was it sunk for?..and how far. might be better parting it if it went all the way under and was there for more then a day or so.

welcome to GH..you'll find the search feature here pretty good. Plenty of talk on sunken skis and salt water demons

It was sunk for about 6 hours and since it was tied to the dock it only sunk deep enough to half way cover the seat I don't think any water even went in the air box

+1
    uhh....

covering the seat at all means that the entire engine compartment was submerged.

my vote=part it out.

I'm sure others will agree w/me, but make your own choices.

It's an expensive engine to rebuild, and certainly a challenging job, even for a seasoned wrench.

+1
    Where are you located ?
    Sinking isn't the end of the world if you get the proper maintaince done there after

I'm in south eastern North Carolina not to far from myrtle Beach, I figured it was gunna always give me trouble even if I get it fixed, so I just ordered a 2015 fx ho to have as my main ski. I really wanna get this one back running so I can use it as my loaner for guests at our beach house. Everyone knows how rough inexperienced riders can be on a ski.

+1
    sounds like a plan and a darn good one too!...get on with the desalting as soon as practical, the engine can wait a bit once its ben run and flushed with fresh water.

Do you think it would be a good option to pull the engine and send it to sbt as a core and buy a rebuilt engine?

Anyone know the price of the wiring harness? I was thinking about getting a parts ski from a insurance action, anyone have any experience with insurance auctions?

+1
    I'd bet my money that it's a valve problem, not bad rings. I would try getting some fogging oil onto the valves and cranking the motor to clean them up.

I once bought an FXHO with the same dealer diagnosis... needs rings/re-build for $2000+. I got it up and running in 30 minutes with spray cleaner and oil.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information