MSX 150 ran great in lakes did compression test now wont start

Ski ran great when tested took it home week later decided to do compression test now won't start it just crank. I've check end he fuel pump it is humming when start, pulled out fuel line has fuel, check spark plug dry. Maybe injector are clogged or not firing. Is there fuse somewhere for the injector? I know I need noid light if injectors are firing. Anymore advice what else to check?

+1
    First thought you've run the battery down spinning the engine over, charge it up and try. The ECU wont allow a start up if the voltage is low when cranking.

+1
    Agreed. Need a strong battery. Check voltage at battery *while* cranking. Needs to be higher than 10.6volts for the ECU to turn on ignition and injectors.

Was the battery tired from cranking while checking compression? Or had you not done that yet? What did you get for compression #s?

There are fuses in the wire harness. They are in a slim-wide waterproof case. One in the wires forward of the ECU/battery area... and one back by the battery area. Could pop those open and ensure they are good.

Cheers!

The battery is new and it didn't seems like the battery got tired while doing compression test. Also weird that the ski ran great in the lake but the compression little bit over 100psi and also not sure how accurate the harbor freight brand compression test. I have a spare motorcycle battery and will charged it and use it to jump the ski see if it start.

+1
    It's very possible to wear down even a new battery if you do a bunch of cranking... like compression tests. Was it charged and ready off the shelf? Or did you have to fill it with acid and charge it yourself? It's not advised to "jump" start. If you piggy-back batteries... positive-to-positive, negative-to-negative... unhook ski wires completely when you hook the batteries together. Then after batteries are wired together... hook up the ski positive and lastly the ski negative. Undo in reverse order.

100psi compression.... That doesn't bode well. Even if your gauge is off a tad... it's probably not off 25psi (spec is 125psi+). It's probably a good bet you have Nikasil plating failure in your cylinder(s). Sadly, a common plague for the MSX 110/150. And a very expensive fix. And yes, the ski will still run at 100psi compression. It will be pretty hard to restart while floating in the water (helps to lift exhaust outlet out of water when starting). But the more you run flaking Nikasil... the worse it'll get. And the ski will be down on power with low compression... so max RPMs will be lower and top speed too.

Let us know what you find as you dig deeper. We can help layout your best options.

Cheers!

Did some more testing, I have spark, I put a noid to the injector wire not flashing, checked the injector voltage while cranking I get 3.5 vdc, checked all fuses all good, now charging the battery and will test again tomorrow.
    Last edited by kalabi; 05-17-2015 at 09:20 PM.

That was it!!! Low battery it start right up when I put the charge battery. Thanks everyone for the advice...

+1
    Glad to hear you got it running. You might consider replacing a weak battery. Stranded on the water is no fun.

What's the history with your ski? New to you?
    You really should check the compression numbers again. If they are ~100#... that's not good.
    Have you completed the other basic maintenance... oil, filter, jet pump?
    Remember premium fuel only. Full synthetic Mobil 1 15w-50 oil. Do NOT overfill the oil or bad things happen.

Cheers!

Thread Information