Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Talking 2004 gp1300r just bought..new to the pwc world....

what's a good impeller to buy cause the one I have is stock and has a lil bit of scraps on it and a little nick. And the previous owner gave me a new wear ring..... I have had it up to 65mph with just me and I'm 185lbs on simi smooth water.....what are some good upgrades to do for reliability?? It has 142 hours on it..... Any answers will help this is my first pwc I own a 21ft boat and winterization is easy on it just wondering what all it might take to do my ski.....thanks in advance

Also I'll be riding in lake allatoona in Georgia

+1
    Lake Allatoona looks pretty big on the map and has a ton of coves and such. Not terribly wide but big enough for larger boats and wind conditions to be an issue. That means you will find a wide variety of conditions at different times on the lake. That being said, do you want to setup for top speed in smooth water or make it handle good in rough conditions? You can setup the GPR to run somewhere in the middle, but realize it won't be maximized for either of those two extremes. As for a prop, without the HO pump of later years, I would choose something like a Solas 13/19 or a 13/20 set back. Reliability mods include: wave eater clips, catalytic converter removal/d-plate, pump shoe reinforcement brackets, sealing/mounting the pump shoe correctly and depending how far you want to go they make new reinforcement brackets for ride plate and intake grate mounting as well. There was also a throttle cable recall issued, so if that's not been done, keep it in mind. When you determine how you want the ski to handle and in what conditions, ask here and look through the FAQ/how to section. Be sure to look under the sticky posts while there. Happy riding!

RickyNGA. I had mine on allatoona this passed weekend! I'm new to pwc's and acquired my first 05 gp1300r this year.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyNGa View Post
    what's a good impeller to buy cause the one I have is stock and has a lil bit of scraps on it and a little nick. And the previous owner gave me a new wear ring..... I have had it up to 65mph with just me and I'm 185lbs on simi smooth water.....what are some good upgrades to do for reliability?? It has 142 hours on it..... Any answers will help this is my first pwc I own a 21ft boat and winterization is easy on it just wondering what all it might take to do my ski.....thanks in advance
    The possibilities of what you can do are endless. Spend about a month reading the archives to get a feel for what can be done.

Mad-Italian me too.....lol.... How much did you pay for yours.?

Banned User
    +1
    Specifically read the articles on SHO and 4-tec motor swaps.

Also I went to the Yamaha dealer today and check to see if my ski had the recall done for the stearing cable....and it hasn't...... They said they would do it for free but I'm kinda skeptical about getting it done cause I do want them to mess with it and say there's something else wrong with it....when's there's not..... Idk cause the cables fine to me....

+1
    The recall is for the throttle cable and it is free. Assuming, like you say, they don't find anything else wrong with it. Years ago, my 03 had the cable seize at first start up after sitting for 6 months of winter. I took it in for the recall. They call up and tell me that the throttle body linkage was also seized. I went to shop and sure enough it was. Yamaha doesn't sell the linkage parts separately and the TB entire assembly is like $1200.

I bought a nice used assembly from a forum member for $300 and the dealer installed. I get ski back and it ran rough and was backfiring out exhaust. Another local forum member looked at it and quickly found that they re-installed the TB assembly cocked on an angle and it was sucking in air past the rubber boots. He fixed it and it ran great.

If you get out the door with the recall for no additional cost. You're ahead of the game. It was scary when the throttle stuck open on land. I pulled the lanyard, It was still going. I had to squeeze the throttle wide open to get it to shut off. If it had happened while on the water it could have been real bad.

+1
    Congrats. We have one just like it. You need a D-Plate, chip, WaveEater PV clips and WaveEater PV Couplers asap.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information