Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rocking GPR

Question Rocking GPR

A while ago I test rode a GP1200R
    At about 25 mph, 2 up, holding throttle and bars steady, it would rock from side to side guite a lot, like a pendulum!
    Give it some juice and it would sit flat
    Yes I know the ski really wasn't designed to go that slow , especially 2 up, but it was comfortably planing, trimmed correctly

It did have aftermarket sponsons on it, not sure of any other mods, but this totally put me off this ski, besides it was too small for me and my girl 2 up

I spent many hours on a GP1200 10 years ago, and it didnt behave like this at all, but it was fully stock.

Just curious as to what could cause this behavior

thanks

+1
    The hulls are completely different between the GP1200 and the GP1200R. The later GP1200R has a "stepped" hull that provides more top speed than the earlier version. The downside is at speeds NEAR planing speed the hull creates just enough lift to get one side of the stepped hull out of the water but not quite both. If riding continues in this range the craft will start switching and planing from side to side. Increase the speed a little and it goes away. EVERY GPR does this to some extent or another and is a characteristic of the faster hull. Totally normal. As far as a 2 up ski....eh not so much. I've done it on mine a few times and the results were just fine BUT... it was in really smooth water.(glass to wind ripple cond) Any kind of chop at all and the GPR with 2 is NO FUN, especially if you set it up for high speeds. IMHO chop over 6" should be avoided with 2 people on a GPR.
    Last edited by Prism; 05-12-2015 at 06:40 AM.

+1
    Hey welcome to the GPR, that rocking from side-to-side @ about 24 to 26 mph .... is called the "Happy Dance", all GP1200r & GP1300R do it. First time for me was a little settling, but then I came to just love it ... that fun rolling on the water was always a welcomed experience. Enjoy

thanks for your answers, almost sense now well it would if the gpr wasnt slower than the gp...lol maybe she was just tired. Only going off seat of the pants and dreamomenter, but the gp used to see 99km/h (62) with ease, where the gpr took forever to get to about 93 ( 58 )
    Ozark, it was just a test ride, I didnt buy it.
    My fat arse, with the mrs on the back was right on the max weight limit before you even think about gear, and you could feel it The fact we fell off at the dock during the test ride was a good hint lol so for went with the stx.
    One of the reasons was the kawasaki had a simpler easier to rebuild engine... within a few months of owning it , I found myself rebuilding it... oh well, shit happens as they say
    The dream of one 'allround' ski seems to be just that... a dream

Banned User
    +1
    I think of it like those cat videos where it's getting ready to pounce...

LOL rick, classic
    I didnt feel that the hull was that much better in speed or maneuverability to justify the instability, Only a 5 min test ride and I'm no expert, just my 2 cents worth
    I do love how loose they are when you put the trim nose down though

+1
    I never had a problem riding with chicks on my gprs you just need to put them in front then it's super easy besides the fact the gpr is a pussy magnet.

8. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    Passengers? That's what the boat is for (Chaparral 240 Signature).

+1
    Even my old FX used to be rockin at times with "passengers" lmao nameen.....I think this whole thread was intended to make him feel better about what he bought instead of what he really wanted imo no offense to the op.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokes View Post
    Even my old FX used to be rockin at times with "passengers" lmao nameen.....I think this whole thread was intended to make him feel better about what he bought instead of what he really wanted imo no offense to the op.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information