05 gp1300r. bad injector o rings??

Hey everybody. I am trying to pinpoint a new issue that began this past weekend on my 2005 gp1300r. Up until this point it was running well.

If I punch the throttle from idle, the ski misses really bad and will barely rev. It takes several blips of the throttle to get on plane. This was consistent for the entire day of riding.. I realize that you have to clear the water box after a long idle, but this feels different.

After i get it on plane, It seems to run and respond ok at cruising and WOT. With a slight breaking up sound during maintaining cruising speed. So after I got home did some snooping. ...
    I checked the plugs they look ok (BR8ES-11)

Checked the water separator . It was bone dry.

I started it on the trailer and seems to run ok.

However, after shut the engine off I heard what sounds like pressure escaping, which I don't remember hearing before .. so I tried to listen and hear where it was coming from.. the best I can tell is that it sounds like it is coming from the fuel rail and injector area. This leads me to think that I have a bad injector o-ring. Before I start pulling the exhaust off, can anyone confirm these symptoms and let me know if I am on the right track?

Fyi. .. when I took the seat off it, smells of fuel in the engine compartment. Not sure if that is normal for the hotter weather .I do store the ski outside and keep it covered.

If it is the injector o rings ..are they yamaha specific? Or can I match them up at any parts store? ( I have not been able to find specific o rings online)

Thanks!

My mods:
    D-Plate & chip
    R&D powershot efi controller
    Sealed pump shoe
    Riva 1200/1300 grate
    Protec 20mm steering nozzle

+1
    You may have a fuel injector that's stuck partially open. If it were me, I'd pull the stinger pipe and plug wires off the plugs so it won't start. I would then position the plug wires away from the engine in case there is a fuel leak. (Spark+fuel leak= a really bad day) I would then crank the engine for a few seconds to get the fuel rail fully primed. I would then look for a leaking injector o ring like you described. If I didn't see the leak but could still hear it, I would use a mechanics stethoscope on each injector to pinpoint it. The stethoscopes can be found pretty cheap at larger auto parts stores that sell tools. If the noise is coming from a leaking injector, they can be sent out and cleaned at injector rehab or replaced.

Thanks for the feedback, Prism . I have a mechanics stethoscope, so I will try to give it a better listen with that, and maybe I will be able to locate the exact spot of where the sound is coming from, and go with what you said from there.

Last night I removed the stinger, so I could inspect the injectors...not too bad for the first time ever... I pulled the plug wires off and cranked it over like Prism recommended...needless to say a stethoscope was not needed to locate the leak....
    The spot where the top of the injector meets the fuel rail at the cylinder closest to the rear of the ski (I'm guessing this is #3) is leaking like a faucet when I crank the engine over. The injector also seems to twist more freely than the others.

Looks like the I will be replacing the injector O rings. I figure it would be a good idea to change them all while I am here. Are the injector o rings yamaha specific? Going to try searching around and locate a set.

Also is there anything I should be checking and doing maintenance on while I have the stinger off? I thought about replacing the zip ties that hold the oil lines, or maybe even adding an extra zip tie to them..if that makes any sense. I have just over 200 hours on the ski.

I also have a brand new R&D power plenum filter (the one that replaces the stock plastic air box.) I figure this will be a good time to install it

Does anyone know if the injector O-rings are the same size for the top and bottom of the injector? Reason I am asking is because the yamaha parts house website only shows a qty. of 3 and the illustration shows to be for the bottom o ring... no information or part number is given for the top o ring.

+1
    I looked on the parts lookup and it looks like there are rubber injector cup seals available but the o-rings probably come on the injector. If you go to an auto parts store they probably have an injector o-ring kit. Bring yours and match them up. Check your pm

Thread Information