Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

rxpx 260 cruse control

I was thinking about purchasing the cruse control kit and I found another post that answered a lot of my questions, but I still have one left. I am planning on crossing lake mi this summer with another person and it should take about 1:30hr. will leaving my ski with a set RPM for that long be ok or should I still try to vary the throttle some?

The dealer told me the cruise only sets speed, but you still have to hold the throttle lever. This true.. kinda sucks if you do.

+1
    cruise on smooth water great but I would still not peak it to max rpm.................cruise on to much chop water your gonna rev limter your boat to death.
    ..........GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

+1
    Yep you have to hold the throttle wot once cruise is set

Work: GTA ------------ ----------------- Play: Georgian Bay
    +1
    I have cruise on my RXPX and I find it incredibly helpful for longer distance runs. Assuming that your PWC isn't new at the time you take it I don't think holding a consistent speed for an extended period of time is going to be an issue. In addition, as g550plt mentioned it doesn't hold rpm, it holds speed - so your rpm's will vary depending on current, wave and steering inputs.

You still need to depress the throttle with cruise engaged, but you will likely find as I do that it is MUCH easier to hold the throttle fully open for extended periods of time then partially open. Its DBW so there isn't any more effort required to hold it wide open, but being able to keep it pressed against the handlebar eliminates a lot of strain.

I disagree with REID's comment regarding cruise in rough water. I find that one of the most helpful places to use it is during rough water. Cruise just sets the top speed of the PWC, there is nothing saying you cant have cruise engaged and still respond to waves as you would normally. In severe water, it is also much easier and much more consistent to hold the throttle against the handle bar then trying to keep it balanced at some intermediate point - you also get the benefit of gripping both handlebars fully. Mine doesn't end up on the limiter when engaged in rough water either - it's a fairly gentle ramp up and ramp down as it exits and enters the water. Most of my riding is cruising though, so I would be 22-28mph in 3-4 foot waves dropping to 10-15mph in 4-6 foot waves. In the 0-4ft wave height range, I almost always use cruise (on longer runs) manipulating the throttle as needed. 4ft+ the waves are usually frantic enough that you have to actively adjust throttle and direction for each waves and cruise isn't much of a help - I'm also going fairly slow for these ones and cruise adds a throttle damping effect that I don't like and find difficult to coach passengers on.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RGUN View Post
    I have cruise on my RXPX and I find it incredibly helpful for longer distance runs. Assuming that your PWC isn't new at the time you take it I don't think holding a consistent speed for an extended period of time is going to be an issue. In addition, as g550plt mentioned it doesn't hold rpm, it holds speed - so your rpm's will vary depending on current, wave and steering inputs.

You still need to depress the throttle with cruise engaged, but you will likely find as I do that it is MUCH easier to hold the throttle fully open for extended periods of time then partially open. Its DBW so there isn't any more effort required to hold it wide open, but being able to keep it pressed against the handlebar eliminates a lot of strain.

I disagree with REID's comment regarding cruise in rough water. I find that one of the most helpful places to use it is during rough water. Cruise just sets the top speed of the PWC, there is nothing saying you cant have cruise engaged and still respond to waves as you would normally. In severe water, it is also much easier and much more consistent to hold the throttle against the handle bar then trying to keep it balanced at some intermediate point - you also get the benefit of gripping both handlebars fully. Mine doesn't end up on the limiter when engaged in rough water either - it's a fairly gentle ramp up and ramp down as it exits and enters the water. Most of my riding is cruising though, so I would be 22-28mph in 3-4 foot waves dropping to 10-15mph in 4-6 foot waves. In the 0-4ft wave height range, I almost always use cruise (on longer runs) manipulating the throttle as needed. 4ft+ the waves are usually frantic enough that you have to actively adjust throttle and direction for each waves and cruise isn't much of a help - I'm also going fairly slow for these ones and cruise adds a throttle damping effect that I don't like and find difficult to coach passengers on.

your the same guy that says in his signature he replaced his supercharger @ 66 hours...maybe thats due to your cruise control riding style in chop destroying your charger bearings and washers with hard engagement after engagement thru the chop with cruise control on & this guys crossing a LARGE body of water which is dangerous IMO...........I don't have cruise and think my advise far outweighs yours for safety though IMO......one boat towing another that far out cant be fun....GOOD LUCK TO THE GUY ON THE CROSS & BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by REID2168 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RGUN View Post

your the same guy that says in his signature he replaced his supercharger @ 66 hours...maybe thats due to your cruise control riding style in chop destroying your charger bearings and washers with hard engagement after engagement thru the chop with cruise control on & this guys crossing a LARGE body of water which is dangerous IMO...........I don't have cruise and think my advise far outweighs yours for safety though IMO......one boat towing another that far out cant be fun....GOOD LUCK TO THE GUY ON THE CROSS & BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for the advice guys, i was not aware that you still had to hold the throttle lever... And i obviously would not be using the cruse function if the prop was coming out of the water repeatedly..

+1
    sounds like fun report back after ...DOO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Work: GTA ------------ ----------------- Play: Georgian Bay
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by REID2168 View Post
    As I mentioned, cruise simply sets the top speed and you modulate the throttle as your normally would. Beyond that, using cruise (in my experience) significantly dampens the throttle response resulting in a much more gradual change of rpm. I don't know why you would assume that cruise would function any differently than trying to manually maintain a speed that suits the waves - if one is intelligent enough to realize that you adjust your speed to best suit the conditions then why would this be any different with cruise? My riding is about as benign as it gets, almost all of it is with a passenger. No question in my mind that cruise (along with common sense) reduces the frequency of "hard engagements".

+1
    I agree with u on slower speeds & common sense ..........I guess im always riding to fast and ASSUMING others do as well and thinking they r gonna ROCK it across that far not messing around in which case cruise would not be good and would constantly hit the rev limiter in the wrong water that's all...... GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information