Engine Swap or Hull Repair... What would you recommend?

I have a 1996 Polaris SLT700 that became a little too familiar with a dock last year and caused some significant damage to the front of the hull (I have attached a photo of the damage). The engine on the 700 is very fresh and runs strong.

I have the opportunity to buy a 96 SLT780 with trailer, cover, and a blown motor for a few hundred bux (Trailer and cover are worth the asking price, the ski is essentially free). The hull on the 780 is in great shape.

What are the thoughts on repairing the fiberglass on the 700 vs purchasing the 780 and attempting an engine swap?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_08682.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	358615  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by agbulit View Post
    I have a 1996 Polaris SLT700 that became a little too familiar with a dock last year and caused some significant damage to the front of the hull (I have attached a photo of the damage). The engine on the 700 is very fresh and runs strong.

I have the opportunity to buy a 96 SLT780 with trailer, cover, and a blown motor for a few hundred bux (Trailer and cover are worth the asking price, the ski is essentially free). The hull on the 780 is in great shape.

What are the thoughts on repairing the fiberglass on the 700 vs purchasing the 780 and attempting an engine swap?
    I'd buy the 780 and swap the motors, sounds like you end up with a strong running motor in a hull that's in great shape. How could that be bad?

+1
    Swap em. Same hull on both skis. Same mounting location for the motor and everything. Steering throttle and reverse can stay. All electronics will need moved. 780 will not have a fuel gauge, but should have an MFD.

Pretty easy task I would think...... And a hull / feature upgrade....

I guess it's more a matter of how difficult the engine swap would be, but it sounds like it would be a pretty straight forward project. Would the 700 engine connect up with the pump in the 780, or does the engine and pump assembly need to be swapped? I would imagine the impeller should be swapped?

The MFD is there, and apparently works 100%. Is there a way to make it work with the electronics from the 700?

+1
    The only thing you will have to swap also is the impeller from the 700, you should also be able to use the MFD, its a matter of connecting the proper wire from it into the 700's electrical box.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by agbulit View Post
    I guess it's more a matter of how difficult the engine swap would be, but it sounds like it would be a pretty straight forward project. Would the 700 engine connect up with the pump in the 780, or does the engine and pump assembly need to be swapped? I would imagine the impeller should be swapped?

The MFD is there, and apparently works 100%. Is there a way to make it work with the electronics from the 700?
    Yep. All plug and play.....

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    Swap em. Same hull on both skis. Same mounting location for the motor and everything. Steering throttle and reverse can stay. All electronics will need moved. 780 will not have a fuel gauge, but should have an MFD.

The 96 SLT 700 is not the same hull as the SLT 780. The 96 SLT 700 hull is the same hull as the 94 and 95 SLT 750. Im not sure the 700 will be a direct drop in. I t looks like the 780 uses the split bed plate so it may work. The SLT 780 hull is heavier than the SLT 700 hull, so it may be a little slower. The trade off is that the SLT 780 hull will work much better in rougher water.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Matrix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post

The 96 SLT 700 is not the same hull as the SLT 780. The 96 SLT 700 hull is the same hull as the 94 and 95 SLT 750. Im not sure the 700 will be a direct drop in. I t looks like the 780 uses the split bed plate so it may work. The SLT 780 hull is heavier than the SLT 700 hull, so it may be a little slower. The trade off is that the SLT 780 hull will work much better in rougher water.
    Sure, one is SMC, one is Fiberglass, weight and profile differences, but for purposes of a motor swap, the 700 will bolt up to the 780 hull. The mounts in the 780 SLT hull are spaced for the 700 motor, so that aspect is in fact different from the 94 and 95 hulls. The split bed plates on the 780 are, however, different from the split bed plates on the 700, so do not change them out. I put a 750 in a 97 SLT - SMC hull with great success, and good speed, better in fact than my 94 SLT with a 750... I'd still go with the swap.....

OP - what did you wind up doing?

Others - you think the tradeoff for the deeper V hull of the 780 is worth the additional 80lbs?

+1
    Even though the 780 hull weighs more, in my experience it has less water drag than the SLT 750 hull, & the 780 hull is better in rougher conditions.

Thread Information