Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2001 XLT1200 Problems

So I have a 2001 XLT1200 that I just replaced the starter solenoid and the ski ran OK. When it ran fine it would hit 57-60 on GPS (cat delete and that's it). When it wasn't okay it would start bogging down while applying throttle and then open up and bog down again like you put your hands over the intake. It was taken out by a friend and she drove it through the weeds (we cleaned out the prop and then it ran like a champion). She got on it with a friend the ski took off and died...now it won't start at all. The dash was getting lit up with start and it would try to crank but it felt like it was still bound by the impeller. Took it apart and it looks fine. So I tried to start again and it wouldn't turn over but it did crank. Now the dash will not say start and the ski will not turn over after I pulled the battery and got a new one. Any ideas on where I could start?

+1
    When you say"took it apart" what do you mean? Unlikely, but possible , the impeller is binding on the pump.May need a code.Got a manual? Have you tried shorting the starter with a screwdriver?

Quote Originally Posted by dockwalker View Post
    When you say"took it apart" what do you mean? Unlikely, but possible , the impeller is binding on the pump.May need a code.Got a manual? Have you tried shorting the starter with a screwdriver?
    I don't have a manual. I haven't jumped the solenoid again. The dash is getting no power which is concerning to me. If it was the solenoid wouldn't the dash be displaying START? I took the intake grate and ride plate off to see if it was bound up.

+1
    Would the impeller move? If so, try shorting the starter, not the solenoid.If it spins, work back from that.Somebody here's got a manual they can email if you ask. If it doesn't spin, its the starter or locked up.Sounds like it had carb problems. Check all grounds FIRST.I've found that most starting problems with cars, lawnmowers boats and ski's are battery and connector problems.

+1
    Check your fuses as well

Quote Originally Posted by dockwalker View Post
    Would the impeller move? If so, try shorting the starter, not the solenoid.If it spins, work back from that.Somebody here's got a manual they can email if you ask. If it doesn't spin, its the starter or locked up.Sounds like it had carb problems. Check all grounds FIRST.I've found that most starting problems with cars, lawnmowers boats and ski's are battery and connector problems.
    The impeller will not move if I try to turn by hand. So now that it won't turn by hand I should check the starter? How could it be locked up besides being seized?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism View Post
    Check your fuses as well
    Will do. It just sounds mechanically bound.

How does an engine crank but not then over??

It will attempt to crank but the turning over doest happen as it you hit start it attempts to spin the crank and it just cranks instead of turning over and not sparking.

+1
    So the current situation you're having is the ski CRANKS but does not START, correct? OR when you hit the button it clicks and ATTEMPTS to crank, but cannot rotate the engine over?

I'm so co fused. When you hit the starter the engine turns over but doesn't start OR do you hear the starter turn but the engine doesn't turn over?
    If the starter just turns but the engine does not its probably the Bendix. If it just clicks its probably the solenoid. If the starter turns the engine over with the start button but it doesn't fire it is either air/fuel or spark

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information