Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

05 RXP stage 3 new motor overheating coolant boiling over

Hi thank you for reading, to start this has been a 5 year project so far. I bought this ski from a police auction in Massachusetts with a completely torn apart motor, missing pump, broken hood etc. It needed everything and after researching it I found it seemed safer to get as many aftermarket parts as possible to avoid all of sea doos problems. So I went straight for the stage 3 kit. 2 years ago it was all together and ran great for approximately 8 hours, suddenly I heard a knock and after another trip to the shop I once again had to disassemble my newly built toy. This motor was not cheap I had not only upgraded the valve springs and retainers but the valves themselves, cometic head gasket, block guard, exhaust manifold spacer, heavy duty motor mounts, all other stage 3 equipment. The motor had spun a bearing shop said due to the crank being a hairline warped. So after the second rebuild and another entire summer gone by the ski was back together for another try. To be clear I am mechanically inclined, however I do not trust myself enough to do interior engine work, so I had the shop build the motor and I installed the motor. So this time ran great on break-in, approximately 6 hours at low rpms, very babied.. However after the 6 hours the ski warning beep came on the ski shut down and said hi temp. opened the bilge to find the overflow container empty, filled it with water thinking maybe it somehow worked its way through the motor and there was just a lot of air in the sytem. happened again two more times and figured out the cooling is getting incredibly hot and boiling out of the overflow container. I am a little lost as the motor is brand new runs great at low rpms. The oil is clear and the head gasket is a triple layer cometic gasket (dont think it could be the head gasket) Maybe bad thermostat, clog in lines somewhere, I dont really know where to start. Ultimately what seems to happen is the engine overheats after the coolant boils over probably because there is not enough in the system, a lot comes out when this happens. Could it be the ride plate? Could the block guard be in upside down? Would it possibly work if I switched to the open cooling system? With the open cooling it would at least never run out of water to cool it. I dont really know where to start, super frustrating any advice appreciated

+1
    i know u don't wanna hear it but I am pretty sure your head gasket is blown regardless of new.....i don't think the cometic head gaskets r stock and if not i would not use them........i think 1 or more of your cylinders r leaking into coolant charging & heating it to boiling over the 13psi cap on the overflow bottle...hopefully not but that's what i think as what u describe is the MAIN symptom.......GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by REID2168 View Post
    i know u don't wanna hear it but I am pretty sure your head gasket is blown regardless of new.....i don't think the cometic head gaskets r stock and if not i would not use them........i think 1 or more of your cylinders r leaking into coolant charging & heating it to boiling over the 13psi cap on the overflow bottle...hopefully not but that's what i think as what u describe is the MAIN symptom.......GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!
    must be some greek thing ...blowing up motors

+1
    just kidding

+1
    Welcome to the GH
    what ecu are you using and does it have knock control?
    what fuel you runing and where did you set the cam timing?
    have you checked the engine temp with a Infrared Temperature Measurement gun
    to see if you are actually getting hot
    last I agree with Reid you probably had deto and blew the gasket

Coolant hoses on wrong. It can happen the BRP dealer did it to my 2004 rxp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	358653  

Quote Originally Posted by skidoochris View Post
    Welcome to the GH
    what ecu are you using and does it have knock control?
    what fuel you runing and where did you set the cam timing?
    have you checked the engine temp with a Infrared Temperature Measurement gun
    to see if you are actually getting hot
    last I agree with Reid you probably had deto and blew the gasket

I am using a riva ecu with knock sensor, I have not temped the engine with a infrared gun, I will try that, i dont think its the head gasket because it doesnt happen until a certain rpm and its actually boiling not just bubbles it shoots out the overflow hose. Also if I just run it at idle no problems if the head gasket were bad wouldnt it happen no matter how fast the engine is spinning. Its once it winds up. feel maybe the crappy heat exchanger is clogged, not the biggest fan of that system seeing how the machine uses lake water to cool the exhaust anyway, seems flashy and unnecessary to use closed cooling. Reminds me of my old 88 mercruiser 3.7 one of the worst marine motors ever built. could the riva thermo be stuck?? would that cause it to not make its way through the system fast enough causing it to get too hot and boil? If it had a bigger overflow I dont think it would boil over. I am using 93 octane, I did not set the timing but it idles perfect, accelerates perfect then randomely shuts down hi temp warning and coolant is shooting out of the overflow hose. I guess it could be a greek thing but seems unlikely, and unrelated.

+1
    last time........after u over heat your motor enough it will need rebuilt again along with the head gasket it needs now.....GOOD LUCK!

+1
    I have seen a blown gasket only leak under boost

10. +1 by:

+1
    I've seen water pump impellers fail and cause your symptoms but Im with Reid on this one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information