Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

00 Virage tx no spark

so i downloaded the manual and checked the stator and it was into spec then i checked the coil pack and the book says the ohms has to be at 0.35 and i am only getting 0.7 ohms, so does that mean my coil pack is no good??? another thing the jetski can crank over with or without the lanyard and the display is always on... please help thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Most digital multimeters cannot provide accurate measurements below 1.0 ohms. Your coil pack is probably OK.

This is a carburetor engine, correct?

Two cylinder or three cylinder?

Very first thing is to verify the battery is actually strong enough. Measure DC volts on battery posts and press Start button to crank engine. While engine is cranking, watch the battery voltage reading. It must stay well above 10.6 volts or there will be no spark.

If battery voltage is string, next step is to bypass the LR-505 Start/Stop module. I have listed instructions for the bypass elsewhere on Greenhulk. The LR module is located inside the electrical box.

Yes its a carb 1200...the battery is fully charged and I am checking spark by removing the plugs and then ground them to the motor... I tested the start stop and it passed....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 03seaRFIdoo View Post
    Yes its a carb 1200...the battery is fully charged and I am checking spark by removing the plugs and then ground them to the motor... I tested the start stop and it passed....
    These motors are different than most you are probably used to. Even if you think the battery is fully charged, it must read above 10.6 V while cranking the engine over or it will not spark like Keith said. Check your cranking voltage with a meter. It is the only way to eliminate it as a possible problem.

Banned User
    +1
    I have seen marginal batteries fire the plugs when removed from the head. When you put them back, the added load from the motor compression is enough to make it not spark. I have even had motors start with one plug out and run on 2 cylinders, put the third plug back in and it wont fire.

The volt reading on the dash isnt entirely accurate for this purpose, although I do use it to clue me in to whether my battery may be weak or not.

Cranking without the lanyard tells me you might have an issue with the LR module.

Ok I will check voltage in a min but just a FYI I am getting 9 vdc on brown wire at cdi when cranking buy if I do the 9v battery trick I still don't get spark....

I am getting 10.7 while cranking

+1
    I am getting 10.7 while cranking
    That is really borderline. The battery may be just strong enough, or maybe not. The catch is that if the battery voltage is not high enough you will not have spark.

There may also be some other problem, but a marginal battery can mislead you when doing diagnostics.

+1
    Ok I will check voltage in a min but just a FYI I am getting 9 vdc on brown wire at cdi when cranking buy if I do the 9v battery trick I still don't get spark....
    If the CDI is producing the correct 8 volts then that is probably not the problem.

Banned User
    +1
    With a marginal battery sometimes they will fire just as you let off the start button.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information