Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Best choice for LED kit?

Well one of my 2011 Karavan trailer lights got smashed to crap so I'm in the market to replace them and thinking going LED, under 80 size(6"w). I'm sure tired of every season testing trailer lights, because I have 4, to have to do work on them and find out crappy sealing inside cover..corrosion..etc etc. Looking for something with longevity...Submersible Optronics from local auto store is not cutting it for me anymore. I'm looking at Wesbar...seem well sealed and that's been my killer. The Optronics LED kits are labeled as "Submersible" so I'm thinking, "Here we go again" and maybe I should rule them out. Anyone have suggestions on something that is going to last me more than a season or 2 but not break the bank either?

+1
    I bought a pair on eBay for around $40 about 3 seasons ago. They work good for what they are and have always been unplugged before I back the trailer down the ramp. Always used in salt water. I hear you about testing/replacing them. It would be nice to not have to worry about the damn lights every season.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	358663  

+1
    yup...seems no matter if I do my wiring with waterproof shrink tubing or not...it's the damn light internals that always goes. One trailer I even took the new set apart and coated the internals with dielectric grease..lasted a little longer but those to now gone. This latest mishap unfortunately is not corrosion related but 90% of the time that's what kill em for me...pita. So I figured if I'm replacing them why not look around for something better sealed than these typical submersible junk I get locally. Wesbar LED seems a step better..well sealed..no screws...there's some kind of inner light pod beneath the sealed housing, whatever the hell that means. Read this review and figured I'd see if anyone has tried a good LED set
    http://www.boatingmag.com/gear/boati...trailer-lights

+1
    best thing you can do after you find the lights is to figure out a mounting system and weld/fasten some protection plates above and below your lights so that they will not get smashed.

+1
    Asides from actually smashing them into something I notice road vibrations/potholes to be a killer too. Cheap plastic crap.
    Last edited by infamous; 05-26-2015 at 08:29 PM.

+1
    In all the years of trailing only once did a light get smashed on me and it was this season and sorry I even mentioned that fact so I think we can rule out that I need a smash proof light...lol. It's safe to say and read my primary gripe is the lack of good sealing and corrosive resistance the cheapo kits at local stores offer because more often than not when I'm replacing or fixing lights/wires, that's the root cause. Hope I've cleared that up I went with a set of LED's that are poded and seemed better sealed.

+1
    Peterson lights are what you want. They are highly regarded, I just put a set on myself.

www.pmlights.com

+1
    i believe this is the kit i went with.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Ligh...s/TLL56RK.html

i hate trailer lights. every trailer ive had has some form of light issue at one point. i replaced my current trailer lights last year and so far so good. i check them every time i hook up the trailer. brake, turn signals.. ect and always unplug them before backing into the water.

+1
    I always unplug my lights but those cheap submersibles still fill with water so they're going to corrode eventually..dielectric grease helps slow it down. Funny...those are the lights I gave a shot and are on my dbl pwc trailer now. Pulling boat out of storage this week and something tells me since it's been 2 years since my last light issue on that guy...hmmm..it's due.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken62465 View Post
    I always unplug my lights but those cheap submersibles still fill with water so they're going to corrode eventually..dielectric grease helps slow it down. Funny...those are the lights I gave a shot and are on my dbl pwc trailer now. Pulling boat out of storage this week and something tells me since it's been 2 years since my last light issue on that guy...hmmm..it's due.
    lol yeah 2 years its due. good luck. we have all been there there trailer lights.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information