gp800r bogging down a bit

I took out my gp800r today and it really liked to bog down. If I full throttled it would only go up to about 2k rpm, and eventaully build up a bit.. I really had to pump the throttle to get it going a little bit faster.. When I finally got up to 7k rpm it would run at 7k for a few seconds and then it would go back to 6.5k then back up to 7k and do that a few times until it finally stayed at 7k rpm and I got up to 55mph. The thing is before all of this I went out and tested it and it would not go above 6k rpm and I took the powervalve covers off and one of the valves was clogged and was restrciting them from moving, and I installed wave eater clips. The thing is when I ran it with the clogged powervalve it took off fine and accelerated fine, it was not until I fixed that, that its bogging now.. another not is that before all of these test runs I had rebuilt the carbs with Genuine mikuni rebuild kits. Also the fuel selector switch is a little screwed up, but I am pretty positive it was in the ON position when I had it out running... the only things I can think of is wether the switch wasn't fully on, or whether the high speed screws need to be adjusted.. I know for a fact that the jets are clean. Just looking for some input.. thanks for reading

+1
    Make sure the powervalves are cycling correctly. Run it with the servo motor electrically disconnected. Manually rotate the powervalves in the down position and ride. It should accelerate hard but lack top end rpm. Then rotate the valves the other way... it should then be slow when you hit it but should achieve peak rpm and stay there. If by manually operating the valves you find the ski runs predictably, then the problem is likely to be with the powervalve servo motor. (probable since you know they were sludged and stuck) If the rpm and response are still messed up then the issue is likely something else. (possibly fuel induced) Make sure your sparkplugs are nice and fresh and known to be good before any of this testing. Let us know what you find.

If it was sludged would the motor be screwed up from trying to move it and not being able to? Like stripped a bit? I know it does work a little bit I can hear it work but not sure if its working totally properly.. I didnt see ur post before I went out today, but I bypassed the fuel selector and it did not fix the problem (was a stretch), basically today it didnt totally bog down it never stalled out, but it just took awhile to get up to speed.. I will try that manually opening the valves tmrw.

Ok did what you said and it worked just as you said it would... I did put a different servo motor in that I am pretty sure runs, and when I hooked it up it still woudlnt go past 6000rpm.. I took the seat off and was running it and got over 5k rpm and then stopped the ski and saw that servo motor twist the power valve wheel up and down like it normally does, yet its obviusly not opening when I need it to be openeing.. Ohh and the reason why the other day it was only going high speed was because I had the cables switched by accident and it was always open.. but they are correct now.. Not sure if I should try another servo motor or something?

+1
    I t sounds like you're on the right track. There is a procedure to make sure the valves are adjusted correctly. Maybe they're out of adjustment and not opening all the way. There is a pin that goes into the lower wheel for positioning. Find a small drill bit that fits securely in the positioning hole. Then adjust the cables so they can be attached and there is little slack when attached. This might be all you need now that the bog is gone.

Yeah what u said before in your earlier post was exactly right.. I think it wasnt working right after I threw in the other servo motor because that servo motor came from a gp1200r.. ive looked online and it appears they are different part numbers and are not interchangeable, do you know if thats true? It was rotating but not how it shouldve I guess.. I ordered a new servo motor for the gp800r ski though.

+1
    I don't know how different the 800 vs the 1200 servo is...but I bet it's a likely cause. You've pretty much proven it's a powervalve issue. I'd install the new servo, but before hooking the cables up, I'd let the new servo electrically cycle once so it's reset properly. I'd then hookup the cables and adjust them as I described above. Hopefully that will be the end of that.

Thread Information