Fuel Gauge Inaccuracy on 2002 GTX Ltd. 4-Tec

Hello to everyone. I have been reading these forums for years and have decided to officially join to share information with what seems to be a very well informed group of SeaDoo enthusiasts.

I do have a question about my 2002 SeaDoo GTX Ltd regarding the gas gauge. I started having a problem with it last Summer and am trying to resolve the problem. Basically, the gas gauge is not displaying the fuel level correctly. When the tank is full, the display shows full, where it stays for a long time. The level on the gauge eventually begins to drop the fuel is used out of the tank, however, when the gauge is showing 1/2 of a tank, the ski is basically out of fuel. The gauge never drops below 1/2 and the low fuel warning never appears. Several folks ran out of fuel on the lake last Summer because of this.

This Spring I have begun investigating and wound up replacing the fuel level sensor in the fuel tank. I measured the ohms vs. level when I had the sensor out and it seemed borderline in terms of what I will call "noise" and "dead spots" throughout its travel. Unfortunately, a new sensor had no effect on the problem. While I had the fuel pump/sensor out of the tank I inspected the interior of the tank and didn't see anything that would prevent the proper movement of the float for the sensor. So, now I am looking for ideas of where to go next.

I have the factory service manuals and have looked at the wiring diagrams and verification procedures, but the information is ambiguous at best, and confusing in general. The testing procedures in the manual don't seem to agree with the wiring diagram in terms of connector identification and/or wire colors. It appears that the "signal" from the fuel level sensor goes through both the MPEM and obviously, to the instrument cluster. While I was willing to gamble on a $50.00 fuel level sender, the prospect of guessing wrong on either the MPEM or instrument cluster is not an option as they are each roughly $750.00. My question is, where is the fuel level "signal" interpreted? Is it in the MPEM, or the instrument cluster? The manual seems to imply that it is the instrument cluster, but like I said, I don't want to guess on this one since electrical parts are not returnable, in general. I guess I could take the ski to the dealer and let them take all of the risk with trying parts, but I hate to wait through their backlog (usually over a month this time of year) and haven't really had great experiences with their service quality in the past.

I have floated this around other places on the WWW, but the only information I have received is "I don't know" or "not sure as replacing the fuel level sender fixes the problem 95% of the time".

Thanks for any help anyone might be able to provide.

Paul

+1
    Have you cleaned all of the grounds on the front of the motor? Questionable grounds can cause all kinds of mayhem... If all the ground connections have been cleaned, i would replace the gauge with a used ebay unit, and if it doesn't fix it resell on ebay to get money back...

same problem here, never was wrong before but got me stranded on the gulf of Mexico until the coast guard found me last weekend. Was going to replace the sender but if its another problem Im not sure what to do. Don't want to through money at it..got to pay sea tow.

Paul
    I have two Ski's one with the same fuel display inaccuracy problem. I have swapped the various associated parts i.e.: Sender, Gauges, etc. and can only get the problem to follow with a swap of the MPEM. Doesn't make sense although if you look at the wiring diagrams. Still working to resolve the issue. Let me know if you find a fix for the issue.

Thanks,
    Roger

Replaced the sender with new, checked all grounds and connections still reading wrong.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    We're glad it all turned out good for you, however i'm Curious about the bill on SeaTow? What does one pay to have your life saved? Or just tell them and the coast guard " i got it" i'll wait on a friendly fisherman with a little fuel of a free tow? what are they going to do ? leave you?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chev69 View Post
    same problem here, never was wrong before but got me stranded on the gulf of Mexico until the coast guard found me last weekend. Was going to replace the sender but if its another problem Im not sure what to do. Don't want to through money at it..got to pay sea tow.

You gotta spill it now. You can't hint at a Coast Guard rescue and not tell the story. Did someone call them and tell them you were missing? Was it a boat or a helicopter? How far offshore were you? Were you alone? How many miles had you gone, and were you thinking you were getting really good mileage for some reason?

Thread Information