+1

How to: Replace crank bearings without a press.

I've done this several times through the years and just had the need to replace end bearings on a 800 66e crank. This happens to be a rebuilt crank by SBT and they used China bearings on it. The rods and center bearings are all in great shape. Here is the double row front bearing which has a cracked retainer.

And the rear bearing had already puked it's retainer and was rattling around loose!

I use a bearing splitter/seperator I got off ebay for about $50. The bolts it came with have been replaced with some better grade stuff and I took the grinder to the edges to make a smoother ramp for them to "slide" behind the bearing.

This works best if you stand the crank upright and let some penetrating oil soak in overnight between the bearing inner race and the crank itself. If the bearings are really beat you may need some heat also.

+1
    Here is the front double row off with it's new USA made bearing ready to go on.

And the rear is a new Nachi made in Japan.

MMMmmm. Smells like french fries! I use cooking oil on a cheapo hotplate to heat up the bearing to around 250-275 degrees. The cooking oil won't hurt anything and doesn't burn and stink like regular oil would.

Then when your ready, pick up the bearing with some pliers or tongs and place it over the crank snout. It will almost drop right on down with minimal effort. I literally tapped these down by hand only holding a big deep well socket. Just took a few light taps and they were on.

There we go. crank ready to go back in for about $40 in new bearings and 1 hour of time.

Awesome write up! You have me inspired.

+1
    good stuff

+1
    Thanks guys. I've never been scared to rip something apart. I figure, what's the worst that could happen? It's already broken.
    Did you notice how beefy the new double row was compared to the China crap?

+1
    Did you notice how beefy the new double row was compared to the China crap?
    yes, much better

Where do you buy the bearings from. I'm pulling my crank out this week and plan to replace those bearings!

+1
    First I try and cross reference the original bearing if possible. If not, then measure with a good digital caliper and search those measurements. For instance: " 40x90x32 bearing" if it has a snap ring around the outside add " snap ring" to your search. If you need "pinned" add it, although I've replaced pinned with non-pinned with no ill results. I just smear a bit of case sealant on the prepped bearing surface before case assembly. Usually, the measurements will get you a standard bearing number and then I try to search ebay for the best price on a quality bearing, usually it's new old stock with a ratty looking box. Make sure you get the open style and not sealed or shielded.

Very good info. Its people like you that make this site the BEST. THANK YOU

Thread Information