+1

Question about dewinterizing and upholstery

Sup peeps, so I ran my doo's last year about 5 times total. Last ride, The stitches tore on my 2010 RXT 215. Dealer I take them too charges $160.00 per doo to dewinterize. Also can't seem to find someone to upholster or stitch old seat. Any help? I'm in Bergen County 07643

+1
    "De winterize" Yourself. The thing is these simple services are the bread and butter to these places as they require little time and effort, and they can charge a premium. I am all about a place making money though, but if you want to do it yourself I am sure tons of people in the Doo section can chime in. However things usually involve just blowing any oil out of the cylinders, adding the battery back in and firing it up. Heck, half the time you can skip the oil in the cylinder part and just get it running and let it smoke it's way to summer time mode..

As far as the upholstery goes, any place can do this that messes around with boat seats and such. Just go down by the water where there are marinas and look around, there is always something. Or google, or as a last resort look on craigslist in the boat section for people who are advertising their services..(Definitely go in the boat section with this one, looking elsewhere for people advertising their services could prove to be a big surprise......)

Banned User
    +1
    I never quite understood the whole dewinterize thing. Sounds like another way for a dealer to take your money. If it was put away properly in the fall all it really needs is a good overall inspection put the battery in and go.

4. +1 by:

+1
    When I "spring service" you get battery installed with terminals and cables cleaned and sprayed, check running condition, check fluid levels, check cables, clean bilge and 565 engine, clean the outside. I also look for anything I can find that is or might be a future problem. So you get your money's worth and hopefully have a worry free season. I do know some people who have worked at dealers that charge double what I do and all they do is install the battery and make sure it starts

+1
    thanks for all the reply. The ski's were shrink wrapped for the winter. I did only use them about 5 times last year but found that 160.00 per ski to de-winterize was way to extreme. Especially being as though last year, I waited while they did the de-winterizing and only was waiting for about an hour or so. Some of my friends said to do the following: Charge batteries and install. Inspect all hose connections and run them for about 5 minutes to get the fog out and some smoking might occur if oil is present where the spark plugs are. They said that's all they do and never have issues with them. thoughts?

+1
    clean the battery teminals with coarse sandpaper and spray them. I cant tell you how many times people have trouble and the terminals appear fine. I usually change the oil and spark plugs every year because I dont like 1 year old oil in my motor but that could get expensive if you dont do it yourself. and spray everything down with crc. I mean EVERYTHING. everything else is just inspecting and knowing when something doesnt seem right. Better to ask first then have to pay later

Thread Information