Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 Ultra 150 Questions.

I am toying around with the idea of buying a ski to run on the lake I live near and river.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/5016375238.html

I found this but he is way off with the price but we have been talking. What should I offer on this? What should I look for? He said he just took it out and it showed 67 on GPS. He said we can compression test it where it is stored.

How are these ski's for reliability? I have toyed around with the idea of an RXP 215 but I can't find a solid ski I feel comfortable with knowing the blower rebuilding and valve jobs that need to be done.

+1
    Well, looking at the picture, the pisser is painted red, so its had some paint work done on it, stock is black rubber
    Handgrips are not stock.
    At that age, if it not been done, it needs all new oil lines,
    Also the fuel sending units tend to go at that age
    What is "low Hrs"?
    Where are the registration #?
    Gauge cluster has to work or it $$$ to replace
    Pump bearings if never been replaced will need attention.
    A compression test is a good start, then you need to hear it run, cold it should start within 10 seconds of cranking, warmed up, instant.
    Fuel pumps can go at this age too, and you have to replace it , no service kit.
    Cannot be converted to premix.
    All skis need TLC, you can't neglect them and expect them to perform.

4k no way... you can find an 05 for 1k less then that price

+1
    I agree that ski is worth half that price

5. +1 by:

+1
    WAAAAY too high! This would make my list of the "Most Ridiculous CraigsList Ads". A '99 Ultra 150 retailed for $8200 new, I paid $7000 for mine at the end of the season. Add 15 years of depreciation and a good one is worth perhaps $2200 - 2700. The trailer is galvanized, but it looks like the bottom of the line EZ Loader that's had a tire blow and ruin the fender. The trailer is worth about $100.

Regarding the red pisser nozzle and the lack of registration numbers, I suspect that the seller has PhotoShopped it and smeared that part of the picture. Being from the Orlando CL, I would suspect that it's a saltwater 'Ski. My nephew just bought a saltwater 2000 Ultra 150 from one of the members here. It was in really good condition and it was obviously cared for, however when we tore into it, we found a lot of the hardware corroded badly. There are parts you simply can't clean, like under the handlebar pads, under the front hatch liner, etc. That's also hard on the cooling system, so there may be corrosion there. I would discount it $500 for saltwater use.

As mentioned, the fuel sender is either bad or will be by the end of the season, $329. Also, as mentioned, the oil lines will most likely need to be replaced and properly secured. Not expensive, but it will take you several hours to do it. I can just about guarantee the oil pump cable will be frayed, $73.

I'm certain that the gas spring for the front hatch is eaten up with rust. For some reason, Kawasaki used a lot of non-stainless hardware on the Ultras, and now we're stuck fixing their design defects. $164 for the gas spring, but you'd be a lot better off buying a custom one made of stainless steel.

As mentioned also, the display must be in good shape. A good used one is $300 on Ebay, $800 new. The electric trim must work, too, they're expensive to fix.

Are these good 'Skis? Hell, yes! BUT they require more attention than the run-of-the-mill 2000 2-stroke PWC. Expect to do a top overhaul about every 150-200 hours. Jet pump overhaul about every 75 hours. Put a Primer kit in it or you'll be replacing starters frequently. Parts are expensive, and you're generally a lot better off running genuine Kawasaki engine parts.

So, what's it worth? You'll have to ride it or at least watch the seller ride it (I wouldn't let a novice ride mine!). It should hit in the 65 MPH range. A compression test is important, too. Ask if the engine has ever been apart. If so, what parts were put in it and who made them? Does it have a factory cover? That's worth $150 or so.

Before making an offer, take a close look at it and report back. It's not going to sell for anywhere near $4K, so don't get in a hurry about it. There are more of them out there.

+1
    I have s really nice 2000 ultra 150 with everything done already, replaced oil and fuel lines, rebuilt carbs, rebuilt the mid shaft with all new housing and bearing, rebuilt pump with new wsm kit. Replaced all motor mounts with upgraded monkey grip mounts, added all new water lines and added triple pisser mod and trim up mod. Now for the good stuff! It has a Shredmaster ride plate and Beach house sponsons! Ski has perfect compression and I'm told has 30 original hours. The display isn't working and have a whole other trim module to get the trim working but from what I hear most guys leave it in the up position anyways. Also replaced all matts with hydro turf. I'm asking $3000 or best offer and in Miami fl

Quote Originally Posted by waverider1200 View Post
    I have s really nice 2000 ultra 150 with everything done already, replaced oil and fuel lines, rebuilt carbs, rebuilt the mid shaft with all new housing and bearing, rebuilt pump with new wsm kit. Replaced all motor mounts with upgraded monkey grip mounts, added all new water lines and added triple pisser mod and trim up mod. Now for the good stuff! It has a Shredmaster ride plate and Beach house sponsons! Ski has perfect compression and I'm told has 30 original hours. The display isn't working and have a whole other trim module to get the trim working but from what I hear most guys leave it in the up position anyways. Also replaced all matts with hydro turf. I'm asking $3000 or best offer and in Miami fl
    phew, he is holding strong at 3,500 so I am on to the next...

WaveRider1200...so would you be replacing the trim module or no? and the display needs to be replaced?

Tell him hes nuts

Waveraider your ditching on the ultra already?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    book is only 2k..he wants every nickel he's ever put into it. he'll get it too.

there's an asshat for every overpriced thing on craigs list

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information