Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New PWC Rant!!

+1

New PWC Rant!!

Ok, I have to get this out because frankley its starting to blow my mind! Maybe I'm just old school, but I'm only 26 so maybe thats not it, I dunno! Why in the heck are new pwc just excessevley huge!! I was just looking at the new kawi ultra, and I mean jesus! It's freaking huge. Its just 100 lbs short of weighing 1000 lbs... I thought my RXP was huge.. I'm really disapointed in the fact that to me there no longer personal watercraft. There way to big for that now, there like mini boats, and there starting to weigh as much as a boat. Now I know 2 stroke rules have started to have impacts on moving to 4 strokes which is fine, but does a pwc need a 4cly motor?? I mean look at all the new 4 stroke dirt bikes, I"m sure those motors would work in pwc aswell. My idea of a pwc is basically a dirt bike/ snowmobile/4 wheeler on water... There small fun, light, quick you can jump and crash through waves, fall off and have a good time.. I think that this movment to giant craft and huge power to move these wales is killing what the true pwc is.. Sure there is a place for the family sized 3 seaters, but its like all they make now, and even the old 3 seaters are small compared to the size of them today. Not to mention there not near as tough as they used to be. You have to be more careful with them then you did the older two strokes... I'm just real dispointed in the direction of the industry.... I mean if you want a craft that large why not buy a boat?? The price are dang near the same!! Sorry for the rant!!

more power = bigger toys

Well IMO the problem has come from people only using one measure of a crafts worthiness, which is top speed. Until there comes a way to actually put other numbers down on paper and deem them important, PWCs will only get bigger and heavier. Think about cars for example; a true, educated person when buying a sports car will look at slalom tests, skidpad, braking, etc. All of these things are a measure of the 'true' performance of a car. You cannot get good numbers on these with a bigger, heavier car. For example, a Cadillac with a Northstar will do 150+. Now if we only look at top speed numbers then obviously a Cadillac is more fun and more of a performance machine than a Mustang GT, Mazda MX-5 and who knows how many other cars..right?
    Not...
    Thank god the CG placed somewhat of a limit guideline of 65MPH to go by or else we'd start seeing offshore racing boats with handlebars called PWCs.

Bigger platform = more stable platform. From most people I talk to (that aren't into all the racing aspects of a PWC) they want a stable platform. They didn't like their 1990's PWC as much as they do now because they were more tippy and a wet ride. People seem to want boats with handlebars.

The difference between my RXP and my Uncle's 1997 GP1200 are amazing stability wise. Now check the dimension differences between the two. I even notice a pretty sizable difference in stability between the RXP and GPR. I can get on my RXP from the side in any water depth without even getting water to flow into the running boards (I weigh 170+lbs. in all my gear), but I can't do that with my Uncle's GP1200. In deep water I had to get on it from the stern.

+1
    the car analogy is great! But it seems as if there is only one model pwc now.. huge.. and heavy. I can see that older people like the dry, softer, stable ride, but why are they buying a pwc then??? Why not a boat!! I mean manufactures can make both ends of the spectrum, but they dont. They make cheaper models, but often there underpowered, and dont provide the same power to weight as the older skis did. The RXP is alot of fun simply because of the speed, sure, but like you said the gp1200 alot lighter, and will out handle an rxp. I love my rxp, but if I didn't have my 94 xp and I just bought a superjet I would get board with it. Fast is fun when youe racing other people, but catching air, and spining all that jazz never gets old to me atleast. I just get so depressed about the future of these crafts.. there getting to big and heavy. What else people dont realize is the bigger and heavery they get, the more damage and injury they can cause. They dont handle aswell, they dont slow down as quickley either.

Banned User
    +1
    it takes the rider's ability to make a heavy hull act light...

personally, the only PWC's that were too big wre the LRV and SUV...those were yachts!

All other hulls, if played with in the right way, they can behave almost like their 2-stroke cousins...

Fanatic- The modern PWC'S are still more user friendly than a boat. Easier to put it and out of the water. For those who just want to ride two up or three up. I had a boat 18.5 footer and people around your life always wanted to go out every weekend and not want to pay for anything. Plus you are accountable for what happens to them on your boat. PWC's are more for people who want to take just three or two people out without all the hassel.

Quote Originally Posted by CarFanatic View Post
    I can see that older people like the dry, softer, stable ride, but why are they buying a pwc then??? Why not a boat!!

I mean manufactures can make both ends of the spectrum, but they dont.
    I agree with you there.

Trust me, they look at the spectrum. Remember that they're out there to make money, so they need to appeal to the largest group possible. Think about it...why mass produce a product for only a small group of people and lose money on it? That wouldn't make much sense from a business perspective.

Yep, people want to be able to climb up the side of their PWC instead of being bothered learning the proper technique of boarding from the rear, they want to have a nice smooth ride even in choppy water (much like a cabin cruiser), they want to carry tons of stuff with em. Basically, they dont want to be bothered with any aspects that make a PWC fun.
    Now the marketing aspect of what has happend is genius....trhey have taken all the negatives people used to have and gotten rid of them in one way.....blowin em up super-size. But hey, as long as teh cabin cruiser can do 80 then we're havin fun!
    The Xp was a fantastically fun hull, btw...

Quote Originally Posted by dude View Post
    Yep, people want to be able to climb up the side of their PWC instead of being bothered learning the proper technique of boarding from the rear, they want to have a nice smooth ride even in choppy water (much like a cabin cruiser), they want to carry tons of stuff with em. Basically, they dont want to be bothered with any aspects that make a PWC fun.
    Now the marketing aspect of what has happend is genius....trhey have taken all the negatives people used to have and gotten rid of them in one way.....blowin em up super-size. But hey, as long as teh cabin cruiser can do 80 then we're havin fun!
    The Xp was a fantastically fun hull, btw...
    X-4 hull rocked!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information