Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar

Attention rough water riders!

Spoke with Nils today and explained my driveshaft/impeller spline failure. He asked me if i did a lot of ocean and rough water riding which i do. He explained that it was probably a broken motor mount that did it and actually pointed out that it was probably the front mount. Took the seat off the ski and yanked on the valve cover. Sure as shit if it isn't a broken front engine mount. Makes me feel better though as i thought i installed the pump without seating it all the way. But lemme tell you something. Nils sure knows his 4 Tecs. So if you ride in big water keep an extra mount set on hand and check them often. Driveshafts and impellers aren't cheap.

Same shit happen to me years ago on my XP. I rode from Stoney creek to Severn river and when I got there puled up the seat and yanked the whole motor up with my hand. I had drive shaft and spline issue after that.

Worst thing was I had it fixed and huried the mechanic back then to get it done to take it to the ocean. Never test rode it ( like a dumbass ) before I took it down there. Dropped it in, and engine ran great, didnt go anywhere.

Man that is a feeling I will never forget. All syked to ride in the ocean and no working ski. Man I was depressed.

+1
    Yep! Nils is the man!

I'd beat myself to death with a rolled up news paper if i did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk
    Yep! Nils is the man!
    Yup, we've got Nils way the hell out West, Mark is way the hell up North, and Riva/PPG/and Jerry way the hell down South. Someone needs to be in the North East damnit....

We have seen two RXP with mount failures in our race team and both of them destroyed the driveshaft, hard rough ocean riding. On these two units we also had to do fiberglass repairs to the area where the mount is bolted to the hull (This area has foam, aluminum plates covered with fiberglass) because we didn't realise it early it broke the fiberglass.
    Early symptoms is water coming from carbon ring or any sign of miss-alignment.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    up here in the Northeast we've got Island Racing... but they are more interested in yamaha watercraft... and don't generally manufacture their own products aside from having their own impeller shop and some other on-premise work... otherwise I think they retail alot of Riva products out of there... Plenty of worthy shops up here in the mid-atlantic and northeast, but I know what you mean... none that do their own R&D and sport their own product lines. That probably has alot to do with location, and kudos to Race Tech for being so renown way up there with such a short season!

when the push comes to shove tho... would it matter if i lived next door to Nils or Riva or PPG? instead of paying shipping, you'd be paying sales tax. it balances out. The only reason you would need them real local is if you are planning on having a professional install all your parts. But i venture to say that if you made it to this site, chances are you are inclined to do your own work, at least the bolt-ons. Besides, ripping your ski apart all on your own is half the fun!!

I belive Nils has me convinced to do my own piston swap. This could get interesting. Does anyone know if they make a more heavy duty engine mount?

After so many years following all of you from the river forum then on this fantastic forum i have decided in participating because i have learned so much from all of you
    that I would also like to help.Please excuse my english I am from Portugal. here in europe we have about 20 races a year.

About the engine supports we have racing supports made in Portugal because racing endurance in rough sea conditions and with engines over 250 hp no stock mounts last I suggest to change your mounts.

+1
    Mark sells the billet motor mounts that rotax racing makes...nice piece!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information