XPL Air Intake Modification?

I would like to modify the air intake on my 98 XPL and I have a few questions. I understand that you just plug the front holes and recut larger holes near the hood latch to accomodate the tubes from the front. My main question with the stock setup the rear tubes extend up into the engine cover for the air supply. In putting the front tubes in the rear location they will just be open under the engine cover where water could easily splash in and if turned over could possible run in. If some one has a modified 98 or a newer XPL with the updated air intake could you please post some pics of the intake. Also does anyone have any good ideas for making the block off plates for the front holes?

Thanks for all the help.
    The weather is finally warming up here in Kansas so I am itching to get out there.

I have blocked off the two air intake holes at the front by removing the two large air tubes and silicon in two plastic caps from spray paint tins inside the two large rubber grommets. Job done!!

+1
    That's what I did to mine, blocked off the front and enlarged the back. if your running aftermarket carbs, you want to enlarge the back to get as much air in there as possible.

what about taking out the plug under the seat where the fuel pickup is. I heard that that helps but I have not tried it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dsolie View Post
    That's what I did to mine, blocked off the front and enlarged the back. if your running aftermarket carbs, you want to enlarge the back to get as much air in there as possible.
    I have a stock motor with a jet kit and FA's. If i plug the front ones will the back 2 provide enough air? On yours with the enlarged rear holes is there any concern with there being a fairly large gap and no seal between the tubes and the hood for water getting directly in the tubes?

Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nubmturk View Post
    I have a stock motor with a jet kit and FA's. If i plug the front ones will the back 2 provide enough air? On yours with the enlarged rear holes is there any concern with there being a fairly large gap and no seal between the tubes and the hood for water getting directly in the tubes?

Thanks.
    You should be fine. If you notice your rpm's are way low, well, then you are not fine. You need to BLOCK off the holes in the front, via fiberglass, tin, metal or duct tape...

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Dan- aka "Waterworx" sells plugs cut out of plexiglass...very trick. You'll be fine with only two holes...many have done it with no problems.

Thanks for the info everyone, i will be removing them this week.

Thread Information