Avoiding a trip tp the impound lot??

Ok so here in NY they passed a law that went into full effect last year that anyone riding a PWC is required to have taken a boating saftey course. Ok so not a problem for me I took one when I was 13 and it's still legit. Now I spoke to the marine bureau today and according to them they have the ability to impound the ski if someone is operating it without a the safety course. By any chance does anyone have any input on this? I mean I have about 5 people that took one look at the ski and immeadiatly signed up for the course lol, It has that effect on people lol. But I bought this thing to share the fun with friends and when I have friends from college visit I would like to let them ride without the fear of my Ski being taken. I'm still looking into it but I dont see how they can impound my ski if someone else is riding. Anyone have some input?

well up here you have to have the licence thing to operate any watercraft and boats under 13.1ft

All operators of powered watercraft used for recreational purposes within Canada will eventually require the card.The following three groups of boaters require the card IMMEDIATELY:

All operators of any powered watercraft under 4m in length (13.1ft)
    All operators of PWC's (i.e.: sea-doos and jet skis)
    All operators of any powered watercraft born after April 1, 1983

As of September 15, 2009 all boaters will be required to have the Pleasure Craft Operator Card in order to operate a powered watercraft. There is no grandfather clause or age exemption – this law applies to all boaters. Powered watercraft includes watercraft fitted with any size motor – even a trolling motor.

and there is lots more to read about this

F.A.Q.
    http://www.boaterexam.com/faq1.html

i'm sure there is a website with all the BS listed

It's your ski, and you gave them permission to ride it, they can impound it. Similar to if you knowingly let an drunk drive your car, your as much to blame as the drunk. Just tell your friends they have to take the course before they can ride. If they don't want to take the time for the course they don't have time to ride YOUR ski. Not being mean, you just need to let your friends know how the law works and that you don't want your new pride and joy impounded. Real friends will understand and take the class....who knows, they may learn something too

Oh trust me I am making them take the course. I really want them to learn some of the rules of the water for my own peace of mind. It's just a pain that I have to worry when I want to share the riding experiance with friends from out of state that aren't going to take a course to ride for one weekend out of the year.

Thread Information