+1

Opinions on having a spare SC

I plan on sending my sc out to Jerry for a complete rebuild soon. On top of that I'm going to replace the stock sc impeller with the RR SC, the ceramic washers with metal, and the metal bearings with ceramic.
    My ski has no warranty left and I don't plan on paying for a new sc if mine blows up.
    My questions are: is there a point to having a backup sc if my sc will have metal washers and ceramic bearings? What else can fail? What engine damage is possible since the washers don't explode (they're metal) upon failure?

Fizzle:

You have pretty much bullet proofed your ski with what you have done.

I could see the only reason to have a spare would be to do a quick switch out at the lake if your washers started to slip and you want to keep riding that day and are 60 miles from home.

Other than that I see no reason for a spare.........

+1
    I have two superchargers, both with metal washers and aftermarket high boost impellers ... summer is so short already in Michigan that I do not want any downtime at all. But so far my RXP has easily been the fastest most trouble-free ski I have owned. A few preventative fixes, some intelligent mods, and its pretty hard to beat.

I have not heard of any damage caused directly by metal SC washers, but have heard of many people who regretted not changing the ceramics ... and warranty shmarranty ... I don't care, I do what I need to do to make sure I have a trouble free summer. It don't matter if I have warranty and BRP MIGHT replace my blown up engine ... if the ceramics go in the engine, there goes my summer, warranty or not, the dealers take forever to fix things and usually do NOT know 1/2 what the average member of this forum knows. Just my two cents.

If something puts my SC out of action for a good period of time and doesn't hurt anything else in the engine then Im just going to get a Riva S3 SC and some bigger injectors.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    I have two superchargers, both with metal washers and aftermarket high boost impellers ... summer is so short already in Michigan that I do not want any downtime at all.

It don't matter if I have warranty and BRP MIGHT replace my blown up engine ... if the ceramics go in the engine, there goes my summer, warranty or not, the dealers take forever to fix things and usually do NOT know 1/2 what the average member of this forum knows. Just my two cents.
    Vern, I'm not debating that metal washers are the best, I already know! I was just wondering if there's a point to having an extra SC if the one I use will have metal washers

+1
    You should be fine with what you did! Heck I ran 60 hours last year on the coated metal washers, and no problems (well, other than I melted the stupid plastic Riva intercooler tubing - got that fixed quickly). I ended up with two SCs, but thats overkill, you should have a great summer with your setup! This summer should be cake with ceramic bearings and Jerry's metal washers ...

Vern, you been out yet this year? They just put my association's docks in at Higgins Lake last weekend. I'll be out in exactly 2 weeks.

+1
    No ... my April is really busy this year so I doubt I will be on the water much before Memorial Day. Over the winter I added the GOOD Riva metal IC tubing, cleaned my IC (was not bad), Groco strainer, Riva Rear air intake, newer billet A kit, Jerry's ceramic bearings, as well as some cleanup in the pump and completely eliminated the bilge 'bumps' in my nozzles and reshaped that area with JB Weld. I should be pulling at least 100 - 200 rpm more than last year, so I modded my 15/20 impeller (added to the trailing edge) and bought a 15/19R to play with too. I will first get a baseline with the 15/20 4 blade, then swap to the 15/19R, then tweak impellers if needed, swap nozzles/rings, etc. Hoping for 78 mph with the 15/20, 79 mph with the 15/19R on stock ECU. Last year I was running 77.3 seat on, 77.7 seat off, so I am pretty comfortable that I will hit 79.x sometime this summer.

Summer is short it is best to have a extra on hand. I have a SC for sale with 10 hours on it. pm me if interested.

+1
    If I send my stock one off to Jerry for replacements I'll have two of the same. I already have an extra rr sc imp. and I have an entire sc on the way. I can't figure out if I should keep an extra, sell it stock, or install the RR SC in it and sell it that way..
    Thanks for the offer RXPDAVID

Thread Information