Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Why not a Roots blower instead?

Guys, I cant seem to find a good answer to this. I put an Eaton blower (Roots positive displacement) on my car so I've been wondering something. Why, especially with all the known issues with the clutch, hasnt someone developed a Roots style blower instead? It would have a much more linear boost development over the clutch style as well as no washer issues..
    I'm sure I'm missing some obvious thing here...

Quote Originally Posted by dude View Post
    Guys, I cant seem to find a good answer to this. I put an Eaton blower (Roots positive displacement) on my car so I've been wondering something. Why, especially with all the known issues with the clutch, hasnt someone developed a Roots style blower instead? It would have a much more linear boost development over the clutch style as well as no washer issues..
    I'm sure I'm missing some obvious thing here...
    Room. You'd have to run a belt off the driveshaft then correct? That's if you want no clutch issues. But then you have a belt to take care of. If you're going to go through that trouble, then I say run a twin screw SC. \

Best idea is Stickem's turbo kit though.

+1
    The roots is not a very good choice for watercraft. Great out of the hole, not so great at the upper rpm band.

Hydro....I didnt think about that part as far as the upper rpm range. I know they are far superior on lower to mid, at least in street applications. What about an oversized, say an M62 blower? Their max efficient rpms is...I think...around 16k.
    Last edited by dude; 04-19-2007 at 02:41 PM.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    specialty roots application... pulley would need to operate on some type of clutch or slipping mechanism for when the ski gets unhooked in the rough stuff. in anything but glassy water, the result would be stretching and snapping belts over periods of time.

and they are bigger and heavier than a centrifugal sc... which means the hull has to be bigger to accomodate the large motor components which means we are where we are today... HUGE HP and big fat heavy skis that don't allow the mechanical innovation to really SHINE

+1
    i can't imagine it would be very hard at all to bolt a belt-driven vortech or paxton or something in place of where the stock SC is... run a belt off the driveshaft... but now ur left with what ratio to run since we have overdrive gears in stock form letting us rev the blowers to like 50,000 rpms. belt tensioner? and what type of clutch mechanism on the blower pulley or on the driveshaft.

The Eaton blowers have a built in bypass, so I wouldnt think you would need any sort of slipping mechanism. From what I'm hearing the Ultras (roots) are devastating out of the hole, which goes hand in hand with the strengths of a roots style as opposed to a clutch. I've got an extra M45 lying around, maybe I can rig it to my GTX
    Last edited by dude; 04-19-2007 at 03:00 PM.

+1
    the problem isn't the bypassing of air... skipping across rough water at WOT and pegging the rev limiter and more and running over 8,000 rpms and then suddenly landing back in the water and the pump loading and dropping the thing down thousands of rpms INSTANTLY .... this is all direct drive, everything is constantly in motion and reacting to what the pumps does and says...

that's why the seadoos have a clutch... if there was no clutch, then something else would snap and blow up the SC instead, the whole shaft. talk to jerry, he'll tell you people that have done it and tried it, running no clutch and it wasn't much longer than a short ride it snapped

+1
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ighlight=eaton

pics of rappidacceleration fooling around with the idea
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dsc09957_127.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	22074  
    Last edited by Shibby1485; 04-19-2007 at 03:15 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information