FX160 ho Crusier

Hi All

New on your forum + i don't know if this is the correct place to ask this question

i have a fx160 ho crusier 06 just a year old and has just blown a head gasket @ 34 hours
    it also has bent at least 1 valve and needs 2 pistons, the ski is used on salt water and could not flush out for a week and my local yam dealer in the uk wants to rebuild the engine!

i am not happy about having a rebuild on a ski with so little hours and has been looked after washed/flushed and polished after every outing.

please could you folks advise how i should play my cards with this problem

many thanks
    Tiggs

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    i have a fx160 ho crusier 06 just a year old and has just blown a head gasket @ 34 hours
    it also has bent at least 1 valve and needs 2 pistons, the ski is used on salt water and could not flush out for a week and my local yam dealer in the uk wants to rebuild the engine!

i am not happy about having a rebuild on a ski with so little hours and has been looked after washed/flushed and polished after every outing.
    Welcome Tiggs

I am not really familiar with the Yami four strokes, but for any four stroke, that is some pretty major damage. I would also recommend the motor be gone thru thoroughly. Hopefully some of the four stroke guys will chime in and give some advise. Seems that you are in the UK, so maybe some of our UK forum members can help with who to talk to over there.

Tiggs, is this Shaz ski ? or are you another person from the UK ?

Anyway I'm sorry to here about your probs.

I brought a FX160 last year with 136 hours on it and a rebuilt eng by a main stealership 10 hours prior to this due to con rod bolt failure and the rod exiting out the side of the block.

Anyway I had the ski 1 hour and it went bang. On the same cylinder where the rod had failed it dropped a valve. ie on the previous eng failure the piston had hit the valve and damaged it. But the stealership rebuilt the eng without replacing the valves. The result of this was a complete eng right off and shown see pics. ie head, cams, block piston, crank, con rods, oil pump etc.

Anyway the stealer ran a mile but Yam UK supplied me with all new parts to rebuild the eng for free. See pic with the stuff on the right hand side all new and the left was the bits I could re use.

All this and the ski was out of warantee by over a year. So was a big thanks to Yam UK and a F off to the dealer.

PM me and I can give you contacts at Yam UK etc

One thing is with warentee work they will only replace what is broken which is not the same as to rebuild and eng correctly ie I had to buy three new pistons as they would only give me one that was broken.

Also I would be very carefull of the dealer doing the work. ie I my case they done more damage by not doing the 1st job correctly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4028.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	22135   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4015.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	22136   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1418.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	22137  

Hi Kev

yes its Shaz's ski and i am waiting for yami uk to get back to the dealer on what they can and can't do.

so it's a waiting game at the moment with no ski for at least two weeks as the dealer has his workshop staff going on holiday so it's going to be longer to get back on the water so no May b/holiday skiing again

cya
    Tiggs

Only took 5 months to sort mine out but then I had some F face of a dealer in the way.

I'm down at the slip and on the Solent on Sat if your arround.

+1
    36 hours is very low hours to have a major engine problem
    if it is still under warenty they should be replacing the whole engine
    i would also be wanting to know what caused it
    valves will usualy only bend from hiting a piston big over rev (rev limited so shouldn't be able to)
    cam timing out (why)
    valve sticking due to rust ?
    bent at least 1 valve but 2 pistons what is wrong the other piston
    what caused the head gasket to blow was the head loose

kev

I'd like to say a huge thank you to Nigel of Watercraft World in resolving the warranty issue with my ski. The support he gave me was 110% good customer service

And an even bigger thank you for the fantastic deal he sorted for me on my new one It's my 5th ski from Nigel and I wouldn't go anywhere else other than WCW for my 6th.

Thanks Nigel

Thread Information