Thread: Prestone

Prestone

Has prestone stopped making the silicone spray. It is not available anywhere?

+1
    Silicone spray has only 2 uses...prevent stuff from sticking and protect rubber. It is useless as a corrosion protectant.

Richard

What do you use to spray the engine and all components?

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i switch every other use or so between WD-40 and Bombardier Lube...

the CRC corrosion inhibitor is ok, some people use that. i'm not a personal fan.

i ride 100% in salt water and been using WD-40 and/or bombardier lube on my skis with zero issues and they look brand new each and every day in the engine compartment

The WD-40 never loosened any bolts and screws?

+1
    The best stuff I have found is a product made in Germany by S100. They call it Corrosion Protectant. It is formulated to protect the chrome on bikes from salt air. Harley shops carry it. Goes on clear and stays clear when it dries. Silicone, WD-40 and to a lesser extent CRC are not worth the can they come in for corrosion protection. WD-40 actualy holds the salt moisture and increases corrosion ! Petroleum Jelly is also a good protectant when applied to metal surfaces by hand....but it stays gooey.

Richard

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i certainly CANNOT agree with the fact that WD-40 increases corrossion. I see skis come into the shop with 50 hours and less and not even a year old and they do not use any kind of spray on the engine.... the skis look like a mess, whereas i use WD-40 after EVERY SINGLE use and i'm over 100 hours now on this ski, and had 125 hours on my other 4-tec. never saw a spec of rust or corrosion anywhere on the ski. so it certainly did not INCREASE corrosion, that's for sure.

green hornet, no lube or WD-40 is gonna loosen a bolt that's torqued as much as the components on these skis are. nothing to worry about.

Just curious about the loosening bolts and screws thing, I have used wd-40 to do just that and it works well. Thought it may loosen things on the pwc. And then there is the notion that it eats away at rubber parts. ( engine mounts )

But if you go to their website they show how it is sprayed on bikes and outboard motors.

I was just debating whether or not to use it as a cheaper alternative to the XP-S spray lubricant, it costs as much as T-9. And the new big shot and built in spray straw stuff is really convienent.

+1
    Shibby; The reason your ski engine looks new is probably because you wash it down with a hose. Do yourself a favor...take 2 plain steel nails and spray one with WD-40 and leave the other bare metal. Leave them outside and see which one rusts first. I did that with a bunch of nails stuck in a board about a foot apart and put a different "rust preventative" on each one, then I misted them with salt water. The WD-40 nail started to rust BEFORE the plain steel nail did ! Best protector was plain petroleum jelly !

Richard

+1
    Green Hornet; The WD-40 doesn't eat away rubber parts, but it will cause them to expand and may loosen hoses or lines that are not well clamped. This has been proven when it destroyed non clamped vacuum hoses on many cars. The hose would just slip on and off the fittings.

Richard

Thread Information