Impeller question

I have an 02 rx witht the 951 engine. The other day I pulled the pump off so that I could align the shaft and engine that I am going to put in it. I pulled the pump and impeller together and I noticed where the shaft goes into the impeller the rubber collar had one spot that was folded over so that it sat between the shaft and outside of the collar and allowed water to intrude. I haven't pulled the impeller out of the pump yet but can see rust down inside. My question is since the collar is deformed do I need to get a new impeller or can I just get this rubber collar and replace it? If I have to replace it any recommendation on the impeller I should get. The engine I am putting in is rebuilt and stock other than the pistons being oversized to I think it's .25 MM.
    Thanks for any advice, Karl

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhardt View Post
    I have an 02 rx witht the 951 engine. The other day I pulled the pump off so that I could align the shaft and engine that I am going to put in it. I pulled the pump and impeller together and I noticed where the shaft goes into the impeller the rubber collar had one spot that was folded over so that it sat between the shaft and outside of the collar and allowed water to intrude. I haven't pulled the impeller out of the pump yet but can see rust down inside. My question is since the collar is deformed do I need to get a new impeller or can I just get this rubber collar and replace it? If I have to replace it any recommendation on the impeller I should get. The engine I am putting in is rebuilt and stock other than the pistons being oversized to I think it's .25 MM.
    Thanks for any advice, Karl

Just the rubber collar, you're fine....the rust is the expsoed end of the threaded prop shaft...

Thanks Danny. I appreciate the quick answer. One other question if I may. I was looking at the impellor and noticed that the leading edges of the blades are razor sharp? Is it supposed to be that way. I am fairly new to PWC (less than a year) so I haven't not had a new impellor in my hand to look at it. I'm used to props on boats and the leading edge is usually relatively thick and rounded.
    Karl

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    They are supposed to be razor sharp to grip the water. If they are roughed-up by sucking rocks it will cavitate out of the hole, and lose significant overall performance. Spray your drive shaft with WD-40 in the area the boot will slide on. Whoever installed it previously did it dry, and it turned when they slid it on. After you install the pump look up through the grate area to make sure it didn't roll. You also need a dab of Lithium grease on the splines of the shaft. The boot doesn't prevent water from entering the front of the impeller, it's function is to supply a smooth transition for the water to flow over the driveshaft step onto the impeller nose.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    They are supposed to be razor sharp to grip the water. If they are roughed-up by sucking rocks it will cavitate out of the hole, and lose significant overall performance. Spray your drive shaft with WD-40 in the area the boot will slide on. Whoever installed it previously did it dry, and it turned when they slid it on. After you install the pump look up through the grate area to make sure it didn't roll. You also need a dab of Lithium grease on the splines of the shaft. The boot doesn't prevent water from entering the front of the impeller, it's function is to supply a smooth transition for the water to flow over the driveshaft step onto the impeller nose.
    Ok I feel alot better about this situation. And now that you mention it and I think about it, it makes sense that the rubber wouldn't seal water out on the front end of the impellor since it's being forced into the flow of water. I've got the intake grate off already so looking at it that should make things a bit easier going back together. Thanks for the advice folks. Karl

Thread Information