What is the correct idle RPM on speedster?

Seems like my boat idles high... 1780-1850 rpms I am not sure what the correct idle is supposed to be, I dont see it in the Operator manual..

When i drop the boat off the trailer into the water and start it, it wants to GO!!! and ends up spinning around before i can put it in reverse.. (im not sure if its an idle problem or a linkage problem at the rear)

It's 'normal' , just adjust the reverse bucket setting via the lever and you can get it to stay more stationery. Generally though I don't start up until I am ready to cast off, helper has both lines in hand or just the front and I get the rear if it's tied up on the starboard side, start up, pull docking lines onboard and pull out of the dock and secure lines.

I don't think your idle speed is too high, cold starts require higher idle, should be a bit lower on warm starts, but it's pcm controlled anyway so there won't be any adjusting, and if there were a problem such as a vacuum leak or faulty idle air valve you should eventually get a check engine light.
    Last edited by TM1; 04-22-2007 at 01:08 PM.

Forgot about my shop manual; idle spec for n/a and scic is 1800 +/- 50 rpm

Exactly where my idle is too. I used to have that "spinning upon starting" when I got my boat too. The problem for me was the steering was out of line, so when I had the steering wheel in what should have been the neutral position, the boat wanted to spin. Once I got the steering aligned correctly, when I start it, the boat sits fairly still.

-Scott
    '07 Speedster 150 SCIC

Also remember not to load or unload your boat with the trailer too deep. Let the bow slide down the bunks not just float off. This is especially true with loading the boat. If you have 2 people unloading this is what I do. Get the intakes in the water start the boat up. I have twins so mine will really want to spin if the trailer is too deep. Then just put the boat in reverse and back the trailer in a little deeper and she'll just slide right off in reverse.

I don't drive the boat on or off the trailer, lots of muck on the bottom around ramps. I just back down to where the trailer wheel fenders are just touching and guide it to the dock, and start from there. YMMV

Yep I never get over idle at the ramps for that reason.

I guess it helps that I am used to manuvering a jet ski that doesnt have reverse, so getting my speedster on and off and around the dock has been a cinch. I just use the bucket lever to control it, no throttle needed.

Thread Information