Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ski is smokin...

litterally...

Well a few weeks ago I put reeds, milled head ( with new gasket ) timing key, and filter on my 05 gpr. Well I have taken it out twice now and it smokes really bad and burns oil. It has never done either till I did the above work. Could I have done something wrong and put something back together wrong? Its like the oil pump is wide open all the time no matter how much gas I am giving it. when I hit it from an idle it looks like I am doing a huge burnout but when Im running above 5500-6k it doesnt smoke...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

+1
    Did you take the oil injection pump cable off, at any time, on EITHER end???

It sounds like the lever "flipped" over (which will happen if you lose tension) and is running WOT oil flow all the time.

Using a flashlight, a mirror, a chimpanzee, a midget and 3.72 arms, get a visual of your oil pump lever at idle. It should have the timing mark lining up with the timing mark on the pump.

If it's on the opposite side, you got to take the cable off and rotate it around, and then reattach the cable and adjust it. Fun stuff... like a root canal.

Thanks man. I have the mirror, chimpanzie and flashlight... but only have 2 arms and no miget... Sounds like I need to find one fast!

I didnt take the cble off but I did move the pump around a little bit. When looking for the lever to see if it is lined up crrectly, is that on the front of the motor or is that the part on the throtle body assembly?

thanks man! I will see what I can come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    Did you take the oil injection pump cable off, at any time, on EITHER end???

It sounds like the lever "flipped" over (which will happen if you lose tension) and is running WOT oil flow all the time.

Using a flashlight, a mirror, a chimpanzee, a midget and 3.72 arms, get a visual of your oil pump lever at idle. It should have the timing mark lining up with the timing mark on the pump.

If it's on the opposite side, you got to take the cable off and rotate it around, and then reattach the cable and adjust it. Fun stuff... like a root canal.

+1
    If you didn't take the cable off either end, it shouldn't have "flipped."

I never took it off but with my luck and how things happen around me it is possible. I will take the pipe off tomorrow and see what I can figure out.

thanks!

Is it possible that the D-plate is causing this?
    Ever since I took out my cat-con, my ski smokes like crazy when I first start it up to ride/flush.

I dont think so. I put my d-plate on a long time ago and have never had a problem. it actually doesnt make as much heat or steam... I dont knwo why yours would be doing that...

took the pipe off my ski today. got out the mirror and double jointed arms and found the lever that controls oil flow had flipped 180 out and the cable was hung and WOT. So it was dumping oil like crazy. Well I fired it up on the hose and it ran great. Lots less smoke once most of the old oil was burned out of the cylinders. Im much happier. Now I just gotta get it in teh water and retune it.

Thanks Hydrotoys!!!

+1
    No prob. Just return the chimpanzee to the zoo when you are done.

If you are running it on the hose it should smoke just a little correct? I also always notice mine smokes just a tad when I first turn it on at the lake. Then after a min or so it stops.

Input?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information