Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Lag

+1

Turbo Lag

So what are the options for eliminating or bettering the turbo lag on the Honda?
    I know nitro's stage I has some sort of deal but I don't know what or how it works.
    I see these on e-bay all the time, but it just doesn't seem right to me.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...spagenameZWDVW

Anybody able to shine a little light my way?

I'm with ya on the not seeming right. I sent a question to the seller, maybe he'll come back with an intelligent response.
    Can't see it as being any fix for lag as the turbo still has to have time to spool up..

I know some vehicles have VG turbos now. I think I read somewhere about Nitro commenting about them. Maybe Honda will think about that in the future, who knows!!

Hey guys, that is a manual boost controller. It is used to raise the amount of boost the turbo charger makes. It has NOTHING to do with stopping turbo lag. With this installed and running as much boost as possible the turbo will take longer to get to peak power but it will make more power in the end than stock.

A small amount of NOS dose wonders for getting rid of turbo Lag. You can also install smaller charge pipes, but this will hurt you on top end. Are the pipes a hard material or is there a couple of rubber hoses? If you have soft material like rubber hoses you can replace them with hard pipes and this will also help. Not sure if it has a BOV (blow off valve) If it dosen't then you can install a home made one and gain a little more off throttle power.

Another thing that could help is porting the stock turbo manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrokc View Post
    Another thing that could help is porting the stock turbo manifold.

I hate to tell you but buy porting it out it will increase lag. You will gain more power top end as more air will move though it and it will help reduce temps. but in turn it will increase lag. You can pollish it and it would help all the way around, but probley would not be a noticable differance (polishing).

Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyae View Post
    I hate to tell you but buy porting it out it will increase lag. You will gain more power top end as more air will move though it and it will help reduce temps. but in turn it will increase lag. You can pollish it and it would help all the way around, but probley would not be a noticable differance (polishing).
    Hmm, I always thought a well ported manifold would decrease lag. We do it on the LSx V8 setups when using stock manifolds but then again lag is our friend.....

What about porting and polishing the head? Better cam? That should decrease lag! Or maybe a different hot side of the turbo?

Just a little FYI on lag. Time it takes to reach boost, the more space you have to fill on the charge side of the turbo the more time and air is needed, IE more LAG. buy porting the housing or runing larger pipe you will increase lag. As you will have more space that will need to be filled before boost is achived. Now on the flip side of things... You will gain a larger volume of air so on top end once boost is achived you will gain more power, also the air charge temps will be lower. So it depends on what you are looking for. Less lag or more power. I used to own a performance auto shop that custom built a lot of turbo and NOS powered cars. Just to give you a little background.

Now a ported exhaust manifold may help. You want to get the exhaust gasses out as fast and with min. restrictions as possible. On a turbo engine there is no such thing as going to big on the exhaust, because the turbo gives enough restriction for the scavaging of the exhaust gasses. Also the air intake before the turbo you want to go large, cold, and little as possible on the restrictions. So if you open the exhaust passages and the pre-turbo intake air up so that it breaths better then you will decrease LAG and make more power in boost.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information