Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Kawi Salt Care

Kawi Salt Care

I got a new Ultra which I will be using exclusively in the salt water here on Puget Sound. Big waves and lots of spray over the bow are often unavoidable. Is it a good idea to flush out the engine compartment with fresh water after use? My dealer says its unnecessary because the engine compartment is so well sealed. I saw salt stains on the top of the engine after just one use however so I know its not that well sealed. Also, another dealer told me I had to flush the compartment on my GTX SC to prevent corrosion. Do I have to worry about getting the electrical connections wet or any other problem? Thanks for any input.

Tilt the bow upwards by placing a stand under the front trailer. Open up the drain plugs. Rinse entire engine compartment with fresh water. Do not use a high pressure hose though and avoid the wiring harness and plugs. After heavy riding on rough seas, there would be salt build up almost everywhere except the rear part(intercooler etc)

Open front access hatch cover and remove ECU bracket. Set aside the ECU and the wiring harness so you can rinse the fuel tank and air intake housing. Salt also accumulates in this area via the steering cables and the fuel tank access hatch cover under the glove compartment. Apply marine grease on the two bolts and the surrounding plate holding the airbox bracket near the fuel tank access hatch(see photo) Those two areas accumulates saltwater so much so that it would be covered in rust with just a month of hard offshore riding. So rinse this area well. Use wet vacuum cleaner after rinsing. Let it air dry for a day or two.

Mitch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1763.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	22540  
    Last edited by mitch ochoa; 04-23-2007 at 06:55 PM.

Kawi Salt Care

Thanks for your detailed response. How long should all of that take me to do? I want to treat Big Blu just right but sometimes by the time I get home its dark and I'm whipped and work on Monday!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch ochoa View Post
    Tilt the bow upwards by placing a stand under the front trailer. Open up the drain plugs. Rinse entire engine compartment with fresh water. Do not use a high pressure hose though and avoid the wiring harness and plugs. After heavy riding on rough seas, there would be salt build up almost everywhere except the rear part(intercooler etc)

Open front access hatch cover and remove ECU bracket. Set aside the ECU and the wiring harness so you can rinse the fuel tank and air intake housing. Salt also accumulates in this area via the steering cables and the fuel tank access hatch cover under the glove compartment. Apply marine grease on the two bolts and the surrounding plate holding the airbox bracket near the fuel tank access hatch(see photo) Those two areas accumulates saltwater so much so that it would be covered in rust with just a month of hard offshore riding. So rinse this area well. Use wet vacuum cleaner after rinsing. Let it air dry for a day or two.

Mitch
    Nice Mitch!!
    Are you using any inhibitors or corrosion inhibiting sprays on the engine drive-line etc?
    Is it worth the time and effort to wax after every run in salt water?

Waxin is okay but it strips off easily after a 2-day ride in saltwater.

I spray silicone-based lubricant/protectant over entire motor, oil filter, plastic and rubber hoses, etc. Then a multi-purpose lubricant like CRC 6-56 for all moving metal parts and jet pump area (impeller, stainless wear ring, throttle, steering and reverse linkages, etc..) Avoid spraying the supercharger belt area. Marine grease on metal areas where pools of saltwater are prone to accumulate like the air intake bolt/bracket.

Mitch

You would really benefit from using a product like "Salt Away" to flush engine and spraying parts, ski, trailer. etc...

+1
    Use a detergent made for dishwashers...same stuff as Salt-a-way and at a fraction of the price !!

Richard

+1
    I have used salt away with great results. Flush engine & spray down internal & external metal parts before & after riding...

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by way2fast View Post
    Use a detergent made for dishwashers...same stuff as Salt-a-way and at a fraction of the price !!

Richard
    Never knew that. I've been using Salt Away for a while, but will certainly give that a try.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by way2fast View Post

Richard
    Richard, where the h_ll do you learn all this stuff????

Jim

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information