Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by youngDUMP View Post
    Killer build. Gonna be a fun ride for sure. Progress is great, keep up the great work. Can't wait to see the finished product.
    Thanks

+1
    Hey RXP-SWE

Do you have an idea what the weight difference will be after completion? Just curious. Keep it up!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramps View Post
    Hey RXP-SWE

Do you have an idea what the weight difference will be after completion? Just curious. Keep it up!!!!

I never checked the complete weight of the stock 60hp before I started to tear it apart. But the 800 e-tec engine was about 45lbs lighter than the ACE900 so I guess that is about as much weight saving as I will get.

+1

Unhappy

Ok, so the first water test completed, the result, it almost sunk

But the good news first, I ran it for a good 10-15 minutes in the water but still on the trailer to start with. It ran fine and I didn't see any high temperatures and the hull seemt cool enough from the outside on the most exposed spots. I revd it up to almost 8,000rpms a few times and up to 6,000-7,000 many times and it sounded good, everything held together and it moved lots of water in the small harbor I was in.

The not too bad things, it really struggles to keep running on idle, up in the air I have about 1200rpms at idle but in the water it drops to 1,000 or a tad below and it just barely stays running at that state. It's also very hard to start it in the water using the pull start. I'll need to perform a TPS reset and then probably find a way to manually rise the idle speed so it's about 1,400-1,500 in the water. Shop manual says that you should not manually adjust the idle speed since it's controlled by the ECU. But I think it's outside the value that the ECU could adjust as it's not done mechanically in any way.

Then on to the rather bad thing, I took somewhat of a short cut when I sealed the drive shaft through the hull. Since I have the inner part of the belt drive still on the engine acting both as a small flywheel as well as a mounting point for the splines adaptor I could not use the stock bellow as it's used on the stock engine since I have a large rotating plate there. I then came up with the idea to use the stock bellow together with two radial seals riding on the splines adaptor and hold into place with hose clamps.

I wasn't too happy with this sollution but I thoght that if it leaked slightly it wouldn't be a huge issue since it would be pumped out anyway. And if it held up enough for me to try it out on the wather it would be enough and I could look at something more serious later on.

So it held up fine during my first testing on the trailer but when I decided it was time for a proper water test it really didn't anymore. As soon as I started to give it some more gas it started to fail and the radial seals where pushed out of the bellow onto the splines adaptor and then there was an opening from the engine compartment, throug the stern tube and into the jet pump. This caused the pump to cavitate and lose grip but I thought it was the adaptor spinning on the crank that was causing the loss in propulsion.

Now water was flowing into the hull via the stearn tube at a rather rapid pace and since the engine wasn't running it did not pump out any either. I got towed back to the trailer and just in time befor it started to sink. So now I ordered a PPS shaft seal and I'm currently installing it and I hope it will work good.

To be continued.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSS_Type_A_seal_blow_apart_675f896a-f037-4bcd-a0ab-2cf2183887b5.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	418032   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pss-type-a-kits_026ae881-33dc-46d7-86d2-686787bd1cea.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	418033  
    Last edited by RXP-SWE; 07-30-2017 at 01:54 AM.

Wow great project!

Hollyyyyy fff
    Please finish and upload water vids! Lmao

+1
    RXP-SWE
    What an awesome thread with great fabrication skills on display. I wish you the best and look forward to this great ski after you get it finished. What a huge task that you took on and you are doing great! I'm looking forward to seeing you on the water.

+1
    Thanks for the kind words Some times it's probably good that you don't know the amount of work or money needed to complete projects likte this or you would never take them on

The new shaft seal is now installed and connected to the water supply. The exhaust modifications for this were nearly completed yesterday so hopefully not that long to the next water test now. I obviously needed to remove the heat wrap from the manifold and the pipe so I just ordered some more to put back on.

Here's the new seal installed:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4155.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	418928  

9. +1 by:

Really awsome!, RXP-SWE
    I follow alot of these "high-end" builds....here on the Hulk and on PWCT. I learn from everyones different aproaches to problem solving / engineering and apply it in my own builds (fabrication is my favorite part!)....so, thanks for that.
    But, its the electronics that scare me...lol. How did the idle issue pan out?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDEH2O View Post
    Really awsome!, RXP-SWE
    I follow alot of these "high-end" builds....here on the Hulk and on PWCT. I learn from everyones different aproaches to problem solving / engineering and apply it in my own builds (fabrication is my favorite part!)....so, thanks for that.
    But, its the electronics that scare me...lol. How did the idle issue pan out?
    Thanks For me it's maybe a bit of the oposit, I needed help with the welding and the engineering behind much of it. However I still need help with the actual welding nowadays I do a lot of the engineering myself and feeling a bit proud of that. The electrical part is where I'm more at home and normally I can solve most of those issues myself with fabricating wires with connectors and soldering.

I actually have not started with the idle issue yet. I have borrowed a BUDS-box again and as soon as the exhaust is finnished I will restet the TPS and then test it in the water again and see if that makes any difference. If not I will have to mechanically open the throttles slightly to keep it running steady in the water.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information