Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

94 Polaris 750 SL Newbie Questions

94 Polaris 750 SL Questions
    Hi, I am new to PWCs and have read so much great info here I thought I'd see if I could get some feedback, I am totally new to PWCs (although I have rented them and ridden them before), I have lots of general questions,, but I just picked up a 94 Polaris 750 SL and a Yamaha 1993 Waverunner 650LX and a 2 place trailer for $1000, it seemed like a good deal and both are in good shape, but need some attention. Anyway, the guy I bought them from seemed like he didnt know crap about them other than the Polaris runs and the Yamaha doesnt. He said the Polaris needed starter fluid to get started and he thought the Yamaha had piston issues(based on what a mechanic told him), he gave only vague answers to my questions. But I bought them anyway cause it seemd too good to pass up and here is what I discovered so far, the Polaris' battery will not hold a charge, the motor turns over but the batt didnt have enough juice to get it going before it died. I think the fact the motor turned over is a good sign?? I was wondering what would require the Polaris to need starter fluid?? IS this normal?? What should I do right off the bat to get the machine in running order and take care of known issues with these ( I have read that the fuel pump should be upgraded and the oil pump removed and to go with strictly premix 40:1) but other than that I am clueless, is there any oil other than in the gas that needs to be changed, do I need to lube the shaft and where does it lube at? Oh man so many questions from a newbie, it must be hard on you guys, Anyway I also need a new battery for both machines, any ideas on what is the best one for the money and where is the best deal at? I will appreciate any and all answers and keep up the good work here, I am also going to check the greenhulk.net site too for more Polaris info. BTW is this a good machine or the Yamaha for that matter or are they notorious lemons? Sorry about the long winded post but I am hungry for info. Thanks again.

Welcome to the fourm.

I would stop using the starting fluid. These engine do not have crank case oil like a standard 4 stroke engine and require the oil from the gas (or oil injection) for lube purposes. If you are starting this on starting fluid you are robbing the engine of it's much needed oil.

As far as the battery, if you want a cheap one goto Walmart ($40). It will probably last 1 year. Your local auto parts store should have better quaility batteries that are going to cost a little more.

As for the starting issue, start with the basics.

1.) Do a compression test
    2.) Test the spark on all three cylinders
    3.) Check the fuel system (carb, fuel lines, pulse line, ect)

Stater fluie = blown engine over time, that is probley what happened to the yahama. Replace the battery with a good one, as a cheap one will give you nothing but problems, I would go with the tripple outlet pump, as far as going to premix it is up to you, either put block off plate on, or buy a new oil pump. As if it fails you will have no warning, and if it fails it will destroy your engine before you notice anything unusal. If it is hard to start there is a couple of things that make it eaiser.

1. installing a primer kit.
    2. you can also unsrew the spark plug boot and cut a 1/4 inch off of the wire then screw the boot back on, also put a zip tie on the boot to hold it to the wire.

Welcome to the HULK and let us know if we can help.

Rodney

Thanks

OK I just got a Compression tester and I have ordered a new battery, as far as blocking off the old oil pump, what parts exactly are needed and where do I get the parts? and where is a good place to get the upgrade fuel pump at a decent price, is there one better than others, I really like the idea of premixing the oil, and not relying on a pump for the engines lubrication, I appreciate the help and info.

OK I have more info to report

OK I tested the compression, I got 110-115 on all three cylinders (although I did not have the throttle open as I have discovered I was supposed to))I assume it would have been higher with more air access for the cylinder) but I could be wrong, please let me know what difference it makes to have the throttle open, the spark wasnt there at first on any cylinders, I let the jumper battery charge the dead one and tried it again after a few minutes and got good spark on all three cylinders, i guess the battery has to have so many amps avaiable before the cdi will put out spark? Anyway,,, soooo... I decided to try and get it started without starter fluid, it craked over for about 15 seconds and it seemed like there was very little gas getting to the cylinders (fairly dry plugs)(maybe the fuel pump??) so I did a bad thing and squirted some starter fluid into the air box, it fired rightg up with just a little choke, I let it run a few minutes-not too long bebause its on the trailer and no fluid to cool it plus I dont know how long its OK to run it on the trailer without doing damage. Anyway it smoked like crazy, I assume this is normal for a 2 cycle, and I suppose it means the oil pump is working good. It seemed to run good but I dont know what to expect form these machines, it did not die and idled just fine, again lots of smoke, however there was some serious noise coming from the impeller/jet area, it sounded a lot like a garbage disposal, again I dont know what is normal but this didnt seems normal, although it is out of water and on the trailer, it was getting dark so I decided to call it a night, I will poke around tomorrow and see if anything is stuck or obviously damaged in there, what are some things to look for? What parts usually go bad in that assembly, it almost sounded like a fan blade hitting something so I am a little scared to find out whats up with that. I plan to upgrade the fuel pump ASAP, I will go to strictly premix, please fill me in as to what exactly I need to do to block it off and the lines, also the plumbing changes to the fuel line with the new fuel pump. I am very thankful for this board, I would be lost without you guys, any info is defintely appreciated. Hey thats a coll finish on that Polaris with the Confederate flag, liek the General Lee on water, Uncle Jesse would be proud. LOL.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Most everything you have asked about is in the tech section. Get a Clymers manual, it will answer many questions you have. Here is a pump with instructions. (you can search for the same pump a little cheaper, but it won't come with the instructions and some fuel hose) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLAR...QQcmdZViewItem and an oil block off kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oil-i...QQcmdZViewItem

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by utahnewbie View Post
    OK I tested the compression, I got 110-115 on all three cylinders (although I did not have the throttle open as I have discovered I was supposed to))I assume it would have been higher with more air access for the cylinder) but I could be wrong, please let me know what difference it makes to have the throttle open,
    Not enough to worry about, the important thing is to be within 5-10% on all cylinders.
    the spark wasnt there at first on any cylinders, I let the jumper battery charge the dead one and tried it again after a few minutes and got good spark on all three cylinders, i guess the battery has to have so many amps avaiable before the cdi will put out spark? Anyway,,, soooo... I decided to try and get it started without starter fluid, it craked over for about 15 seconds and it seemed like there was very little gas getting to the cylinders (fairly dry plugs)(maybe the fuel pump??) so I did a bad thing and squirted some starter fluid into the air box,
    Use WD-40 or get gasoline with some oil (pre-mix), use a dropper to squirt it into the carbs.
    it fired rightg up with just a little choke, I let it run a few minutes-not too long bebause its on the trailer and no fluid to cool it plus I dont know how long its OK to run it on the trailer without doing damage. Anyway it smoked like crazy,
    They will smoke as the oil collects in the cases and if it was fogged there should be oil all over the inards of the engine.
    I assume this is normal for a 2 cycle, and I suppose it means the oil pump is working good. It seemed to run good but I dont know what to expect form these machines, it did not die and idled just fine, again lots of smoke, however there was some serious noise coming from the impeller/jet area,
    The drivtrain will be noisy at idle. Make sure the thru-bearing is properly lubricated (zirk fitting).
    it sounded a lot like a garbage disposal, again I dont know what is normal but this didnt seems normal, although it is out of water and on the trailer, it was getting dark so I decided to call it a night, I will poke around tomorrow and see if anything is stuck or obviously damaged in there, what are some things to look for? What parts usually go bad in that assembly, it almost sounded like a fan blade hitting something so I am a little scared to find out whats up with that. I plan to upgrade the fuel pump ASAP, I will go to strictly premix, please fill me in as to what exactly I need to do to block it off and the lines, also the plumbing changes to the fuel line with the new fuel pump.
    Check out the tech section for the fuel routing, great diagram.
    I am very thankful for this board, I would be lost without you guys, any info is defintely appreciated. Hey thats a coll finish on that Polaris with the Confederate flag, liek the General Lee on water, Uncle Jesse would be proud. LOL.
    Photo

+1
    WD-40 No longer works as it is not combustible anymore. I found this out last summer we were trying WD-40 in a Spud gun and it would not fire, so we moved onto brake cleaner. Also a buddy was trying to start his ski last year using WD-40 and no go so he tried the old spray at the lighter and no flame.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    WD-40 No longer works as it is not combustible anymore. I found this out last summer we were trying WD-40 in a Spud gun and it would not fire, so we moved onto brake cleaner. Also a buddy was trying to start his ski last year using WD-40 and no go so he tried the old spray at the lighter and no flame.
    WOW. Well that bites!! Thanks for the info beer. I guess it's a little pre-mix in a squirter then.

Quote Originally Posted by utahnewbie View Post
    OK I just got a Compression tester and I have ordered a new battery, as far as blocking off the old oil pump, what parts exactly are needed and where do I get the parts? and where is a good place to get the upgrade fuel pump at a decent price, is there one better than others, I really like the idea of premixing the oil, and not relying on a pump for the engines lubrication, I appreciate the help and info.
    All the upgrades you asked about you can find on e-bay for a good price if you have the time. As far as HOW TO. pay attn. to the poatings in the Polaris forums and you will find all the answers, also check the Tech. Sec.

The guy's here helped me rebuild most of my ski last year without even knowing it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information