Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

polaris 1200 slx not working right

got out my ski for the first time this winter, a little chilly but warmer then i expected. seems like its running fine, but when i turn off the choke it dies, should i be worried? could it just be old gas? also, wanted to do some performance mods, performance shop around here says its not worth modding, that i would probly blow the engine before i get the carbs right. don't know much about this stuff but i still try to do it myself.

+1
    Charles first I'd like to say WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!
    You can do TONS of mods to your ride with positive and FAST results.
    You just need to decide what kind of money you wish to spend.
    If you go triple pipes, you're in the serious arena and everything you need can probably be found right here amongst this group.
    Check out some of the projects pages and you'll see, modding your Polaris PWC is not an issue.

Oh on the choke thing, sounds like you're running lean and you should check all you fuel lines, re-new the fuel in the tank and maybe go through the crabs and freshen them up. Not a bad idea if it's been a long while.

what do you mean by checking the fuel lines, will it be that much work just to replace them? freshen up the carbs? do you mean rebuild them? sorry for all the questions, don't really know much about these things. bought it in september so not sure what has been done to it.

Did you ever actually run it in the fall, or has it been like this since you bought it? Like ph2o said, it sounds like its starving for fuel...could be plugged jets in the carb, or a fuel supply problem. Some of those grey Tempo fuel lines caused clogged jets (not the lines on the carbs, but the light grey lines from the fuel tank to the carb rack). I'd siphon the old fuel out and put some fresh stuff in. Will the engine rev up if you babysit it with the choke?

+1
    One more thing to look at which is very easy to do is make sure the idle screw located at the front of the carbs is set right. It sometimes will back out from vibration and not be turned in enough so that when the choke gets turned off, it doesn't get enough gas cause the idle screw isn't keeping the throttle cable push forward enough.

thanks for all the replies. had it out a few times in the fall, ran pretty good, beat a couple of those 155hp sea doos, i think the xpl. not sure if i had the same problem because i wasn't sure what was off for the choke, lol(didn't use it at all, seemed to be working good). found out when i was cleaning the air filter this year.
    could be plugged jets in the carb
    whats the easiest way of getting the junk out. take the carbs out and blow through them?
    Will the engine rev up if you babysit it with the choke?
    i tried to rev it up while shutting off the choke a couple times, didn't work, is that what you meant.

Welcome to the HULK.

I would replace the fuel lines, and pull the carbs apart and clean them.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    .....and maybe go through the crabs and freshen them up. Not a bad idea if it's been a long while.
    Always the quiet ones.

charles fix it now better then in the middle of lake huron! carbs have diaphrams and are simple to replace or clean and make sure your fuel is clean etc etc but performance on these machines does not come cheap ! i know where there are triple pipes , and some other goodies but do you realy want to spend 1000 and up and get only a few more mph??????? just ride it until you figure the mechanics better.

Banned User
    reg, if you know where there is a set of SLXH pipes, I'm interested. I have yet to find a set with all the hardware.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information