Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19
    +1
    On further thought I will simply make all future updates video

+1
    That sounds like a good alternative. I know there is probably other free image hosting sites as well but I myself used photobucket and know several threads I've created on various forums through the years are now photo-less.

That is a really really bad thing for all threads on sites like these internet wide. I can't imagine the amount of information that has been lost because of that move. I had noticed photobucket changes and the relentless use of ads lately and it was really starting to annoy me.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hill160881 View Post
    Due to Photobucket disabling its image hosting feature without me paying a $6 a monthy fee I am no longer continuing any Threads. They single handedly destroyed 10 years of threads and how to tutorials all over the Internet.

Google and other Internet players have created a weird world where many, many useful and important online services are widely expected to be free of charge, forever. Somehow the display of advertising and the related marketing of products is supposed to fund almost everything of value online.

In my view this has created an unstable situation. Successful companies would grow and grow, all the while accumulating an ever increasing backlog of user data, be they photos, documents, email, whatever, for an always expanding number of users. This sort of worked, right up until the growth of advertising income no longer matched the costs of maintaining the business. The existing users expected to continue using the online service forever, but not paying anything to cover the costs of doing so.

My view is that the free online ride paid for by advertising is shrinking. There seems to be a clear trend to fewer and fewer (but really large) online companies that can successfully use advertising to fund the business and generate profits. Many small, and even not so small, online companies are now at risk (or already dead) due to insufficient advertising cash flow.

Is the entire value of your online contributions not worth the out of pocket fees to host and deliver that content?

Or perhaps moving that content to another host?

When you use free services for 'your stuff', you are trusting that service with your stuff. Long term, that may not always work out.

Tip: Greenhulk offers free photo hosting, up to five images per post. A bit clunky to use, but at least you know who is running the service here.

+1
    Yes they created a messed up situation due to there lack of foresight and bad business model.

+1
    This happened today

+1
    Nice! I can't wait for the maiden voyage.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19

Thread Information