Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Ultra Questions

Already have an RXP and know the issues well, but still very happy.

Going to buy either a GTX Limited or maybe an Ultra 250

We think all manufacturers make a great ski, so not looking for brand loyal hype, but a few questions about the Ultra over the GTX.

Other than checking loose lines, does it plow through chop pretty good?
    Everyone like the gauges pretty much? Some bitched about the seat and it looked comfortable to me, is it O.K? Lurching on idle at the dock a problem?
    Any other pros or cons? Insurance a problem?

We're leaning toward the Ultra, maybe even a pair of them. Would really appreciate any feedback, especially anyone that's familiar with both.

Thanks in advance!

I go with Ultra, way better handling , hook up, artistic look, power, gas about the same,
    I used to owned RXT, RXP, GTX SOLD them all. couple minor ajdustment are: hood need to shim with any rubber piece to stop the vibration, secondary muffler popped out hose need to retie , speed wheel need to adjust lower to get 70mph read. Install wedge ring to get nose up. Hope this help. Maybe someone can add more feed back. This is my Ultra

Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by pwcindustries View Post
    Already have an RXP and know the issues well, but still very happy.

Going to buy either a GTX Limited or maybe an Ultra 250

We think all manufacturers make a great ski, so not looking for brand loyal hype, but a few questions about the Ultra over the GTX.

Everyone like the gauges pretty much? Some bitched about the seat and it looked comfortable to me, is it O.K? Lurching on idle at the dock a problem?

We're leaning toward the Ultra, maybe even a pair of them. Would really appreciate any feedback, especially anyone that's familiar with both.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ultra.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	22596  

I'm guessing there's no trim on the ultra. I definately like to be able to handle heavy chop (RXP sucks at that) Where do you get a wedge, and is it much work to install?

It plows through the chop like an icebreaker. If you want rough handling, this IS the ski. I was riding in 2 foot chop at 50mph one handed without getting nervous.

The exhaust hoses and oil level will need to be checked. I also had to tighten up the steering and the useless name plate on the exhaust pipe came off.

The guages could be better, I have trouble seeing the boost and gas gauges. The tach, speedo and MFD are easy enough to see though.

The seat could use some more padding but isn't harsh. Getting rid of the too thick seat strap helps a lot. I plan on having Jettrim build it up.

Kawi's version of the OPAS should be bypassed by any experienced operator. All it involves is unplugging it.

I am paying in insurance premiums $191 a year for my 2002 XPL and $234 for the 250X.

The only major con I have with the ski is it gets 4.5 mpg cruising and drops to nearly 3 mpg when I'm on the buoy course. It has the most horses so of course it's going to eat the most gas.

Overall, its a well balance high performance ski. It is better than anything the competitors have out there right now and more importantly to me, is backed by the best manufacturer of PWC.

the wedge you can order from any local dealer for $29 . It equips on the LX model. I got my from the member on this forum. You will need 2 longer bold for the wedge . I got some from Lowe's ,size M-8x125x40.

Calvin

I'm guessing there's no trim on the ultra. I definately like to be able to handle heavy chop (RXP sucks at that) Where do you get a wedge, and is it much work to install?

So the surge I've heard about is just the OPAS? Seems you could get use to it easy enough or unplug.

We get fantastic weather but cold fronts generate 20 mph winds on an otherwise killer day. The RXP is wet and doesn't stay hooked up in the chop. If the ultra plows through chop like everyone says, I think it's the answer. I can live with the fuel cost, just want the option of gulf riding when it's rough.

Thanks for the info!

Been around for years...seen it all Kawi-Guy's Avatar
    +1
    Todd,
    You are welcome to try my Ultra 250 out for a test ride.
    One ride is probably all you'll need

When are you going to be available?
    Thanks,

Todd from the Southwest Florida Summer ski fest

Thanks for the offer, I might just take you up on it, but the question is when.

We've been remodeling office space at the new shop and they finally approved the framing so I have drywall, painters and carpeting crews coming. To top it off, we've got hundreds of PWC stereo systems to package and ship, so I don't know when I'm going to get some free time. Probably in a couple to three weeks, I'll look you up.

I'm pretty sure we'll get a pair of Ultras. It's great to cruise down to marco and back, but the wind and heavy chop sucks and it's usually like that when we have time to get out. I know every inch of the back bays...

What's the average distance on a tank?

Been around for years...seen it all Kawi-Guy's Avatar
    +1
    About 60-75 miles/tank is what you'll get if you are mixing it up with some wide open runs and some in between stuff as well.

Make sure you buy a couple of 27.00 pump wedges and install them first and get your ride plate done by "jim's Performance" in the Tampa area ( about 225.00 for the truing, cutting and polishing, well worth it when you finally get it on)
    , that should help your Ultra 250 get up and stay up on top of the rough stuff, as well as increase your speed. Right now I am thinking of the R&D fuel pickup extender as my next mod, still waiting on word about a new prop .
    The stock sponsons are just fine, the ski will turn 50% better than that rxp in the rough stuff and you'll spend less time in the air and more time hooked up in the water.

THANKS! I really appreciate the info.

I've also checked with a master mechanic and he said the only thing they've had to do was tighten up hoses. Although that's a strange blunder, I can live with getting that handled, no big deal.

I understand the wedge, but what exactly does the ride plate mod do? If this baby plows through chop so well, I'm wondering how you notice a difference.

Does the opas juice the throttle at idle or docking speeds? Seems that would be a pain in the butt.

We always hose the engine big time on the doo after each ride. On the Ultra, do you have to stay away from the SC belt when rinsing? I guess you would have to when spraying the lube...

The only other thing I can think of, is there anywhere decent to put a depth finder? There's a lot of places we go in the back bays and I'm always wondering if I'm pressing my luck sometimes...

Thanks again, your answers are very helpfull.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information