Thread: RXP Surging

Prohibido usuario
    +1

RXP Surging

Took the skis out today. Started on the RXP, idled for about 10 minutes weaving around the no wake buoys to use up old fuel in lines. Keep in mind this is not my ski and I rode it once last summer for like 10 minutes. Started to take off and there was slight cavitation and vibration but I remember something got sucked up into the pump last year and freed itself after a few seconds so I figured bad wear ring. Continued to get up to speed with a slight surge/hesitation going on and the the ski topped out at 6100 rpm. The ski is completely stock 04 with ceramics and 16 hrs. The horrible thought of clutch washer disintegration went through my mind. That wasn't it though short bursts on the throttle while at cruising speeds ended up producing 7900 rpm, but it would drop to 7000 then back up to 7900. I decided to trailer it worried about the sc washers. The obvious things that ran through my mind were bad gas since it got a little better after riding for a few minutes. Fouled plug, and sc washers slipping. Is there anything else I should look at?

The RXT ran like a beast and I hit a bird. I thought it would be fun to race the little white birds that were sitting on the water. The ones that look like sea gulls but I think they're terns. Anyways, I come flying up on a group of them and as they take off I realize they can't fly 70 mph and it takes a while for them to get altitude. They're the ones that as they flap their wings the tips almost touch the water. I let off the gas and one of the little boogers veered right and got nudged by the hood, stumbled in the air slightly, gained control and took off.

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar

Thumbs up

I'm betting its the gas.

be careful too. harrassing wildlife is illegal and highly enforced (at least around here). they don't care why you did it, just that it happened.

BIRD BULLY!!!!!

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    I just did the research they are ring-billed gulls. Now quit worrying about the birds and help me with the RXP.

Pop in new plugs, fresh gas, and tear it up!
    (just leave the birdies alone, mmmkay?)

Dont judge me...
    also get some washers!!!!

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    I just did the research they are ring-billed gulls. Now quit worrying about the birds and help me with the RXP.
    good move, you must know the enemy

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    I've read The Art Of War.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    OK, it must of been the gas. Went out again today. Rode about a mile at 5000 rpm. Then gunned it, same thing. In the mean time an Ultra 150 decided to race me. We ran about a mile and a half. Kind of pissed me off that he beat me. I would gain on him and the surge would happen and I would drop to 6000 rpm and he would pull away. We stopped, his buddies caught up and I mossied over and told him my excuse for losing. We ended up talking for about 10 minutes and I idled around the whole time. Excused myself to go get the RXT and the whole way back it ran 78-7900 rpm. Got the RXT and ran back into the same guys going to the other end of the lake. Asked to tag along with them to the far end of the lake where they had launched, probably 8-9 miles. There was a good wind creating moderate chop and I was killing the Ultra we got to the cove were they launched and I loaned him my GPS so he could hit a couple of speed runs. He had a full tank and weighed about 150 and was running about 65. I told him I was running 65 in the chop we were just in. I would have probably ran 67-68 in those conditions. He asked me what he could do to the Ultra to go faster, he said he already had a Solas prop and something else, so i pointed him toward the site. His buddies had a GPR 1200 and some Kaw 700 that we had to wait forever to catch up. All in all not a bad day on the water. Really need a Riva grate for the choppy conditions as I was constantly coming unhooked in the chop.

Thread Information