96 GTI locked up motor

My son used my wife's ski at the end of last years season and flooded the hull, After letting the electronics dry, I was able to get the ski running on the hose, I winterized it, and let it sit for the winter. Now I open the hull and it's full of water, thought the plug had been pulled, not. Besides the battery terminals corroded, the motor is locked up. The water didn't appear to be above the carbs, but to less the motor won't rotate by hand with the plugs out. So here's my question, would it easier- cheaper to replace or rebuild ? And is it worth the expense to repair ? What's it worth as is ? running ?

Anyone ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rayk View Post
    My son used my wife's ski at the end of last years season and flooded the hull, After letting the electronics dry, I was able to get the ski running on the hose, I winterized it, and let it sit for the winter. Now I open the hull and it's full of water, thought the plug had been pulled, not. Besides the battery terminals corroded, the motor is locked up. The water didn't appear to be above the carbs, but to less the motor won't rotate by hand with the plugs out. So here's my question, would it easier- cheaper to replace or rebuild ? And is it worth the expense to repair ? What's it worth as is ? running ?
    pull the jet pump to see if its just a jet pump bearing. hen rotate the pto. If it spins then ur good. If it doesnt. well you can do a rebuild. If it was mine truthfully. I would do as i say then if it doesn't spin, I would take something to try breaking it free. Like a pipe wrench. If it breaks free, Then put the drive shaft back one and see if it spins again. Then compression test it. With the pipe wrench don't give it to much torque. I know it sounds funny but i had a 93 gtx and i was told the motor was blown from sitting and i did as i just told u and i rode it for a year with no problems before i sold it. let me know

Adam

+1
    SBT they give a warrenty too

+1
    Did you try the things i said? Also once its torn down u will see what u need. I mean i rebuild kit is no more then max 800
    thats meaning with crank. u can rebuild the crank u have and tru it for about 150.

I had just rebuilt the pump middle of last season, changed the impeller and wear ring. It was running great, then my son submerged it or got salt water in the hull by riding on the front. Once the electronics dried out, I was able to start it, I ran it on the hose for 5 minutes, but I never got it in the lake to really blow it out, Then it sat for the winter and rain water collected in the hull, forgot to pull the plug. Battery terminals rotted out, engine locked. I pulled the plugs and poored marvel mystery oil today,suggested by one of the Toyota mechanics my wife works with. I'm going to le it sit for a couple of days and see if I can get the motor to turn. I had tried to put a vice grip on the pto and it wouldn't budge. I 'll try again on Saturday or Sunday/

Thread Information