Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Ultra 250 Speedo fix

Most of the time my speedo reads 49mph. Is there a fix for this ? I think I recall someone mentioning one.

MS

unscew 2 bolt and and adjust it lower.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSxy4Ever View Post
    Most of the time my speedo reads 49mph. Is there a fix for this ? I think I recall someone mentioning one.

MS

Slow Readings

I too have been having what I believe is trouble with the pin wheel speedo pickup. During break-in (SLO key) Iím running what I estimate as 40-50something at WOT with two people and full tank of gas. The speedo is reading sometimes in the 20ís, sometimes in the 30ís.
    Iím thinkíin the pin wheel needs to be adjusted slightly downward toward the bottom of the hull. XRIDER: Your description suggests that by loosening the two bolts that hold the entire pickup unit to the transom, I would just lower it slightly, and then retighten the bolts. Looking at the setup, it appears to me that the pickup unit is not machined with slots which would allow me to slide it up or down. It appears to be in a fixed position. That being the case, how does one adjust it up or down without drilling new mount holes?

+1
    I noticed that also. There's really no way to adjust the wheel. How do you lower it ?

MS

my speedo originally show 50mph top speed, than I open the entire 2 srew and look behind the wheel body I discovered there were 2 holes, upper and lower than I go with the upper whole that's low the wheel down little bit and now my speedo show top speed 70 mph, but my GPS show real top speed is 68mph and I weight about 130 lbs. Hope this help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Fly View Post
    I too have been having what I believe is trouble with the pin wheel speedo pickup. During break-in (SLO key) Iím running what I estimate as 40-50something at WOT with two people and full tank of gas. The speedo is reading sometimes in the 20ís, sometimes in the 30ís.
    Iím thinkíin the pin wheel needs to be adjusted slightly downward toward the bottom of the hull. XRIDER: Your description suggests that by loosening the two bolts that hold the entire pickup unit to the transom, I would just lower it slightly, and then retighten the bolts. Looking at the setup, it appears to me that the pickup unit is not machined with slots which would allow me to slide it up or down. It appears to be in a fixed position. That being the case, how does one adjust it up or down without drilling new mount holes?

+1

Right there are no slots

I noticed that too. In addition there is a square looking cutout
    that holds the bolt in a no adjustable place.

So what I did was simply slide it down and tightend up anyways.
    This left a small gap from the black speedo fixture to the hull. There
    was a little overhang also on the bottom. I put silcone on the crack
    and smoothed it out.

Now it reads a little high..........but not bad........I have verified
    with my GPS. So at best it's a rough approximation of what speed
    you're going. This has always been the case with paddle wheels on
    whatver boat and also with transom mounted transducers for depth guages.
    Too much turbulence affects readings.

What they should put on this JetSki's is a GPS speedo like one of
    these Gaffrigs used on the big boys:
    Analog readout
    http://www.gaffrigperformance.com/Pr...SubCategory=73
    Digital Readout
    http://www.gaffrigperformance.com/Pr...SubCategory=42

Smile

forgot to mention, behind the wheel body there was the gap that you can adjust is about 1/8 , this gap maybe small but It makes alot of diffence result. Hope this help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Fly View Post

Got It... I think

OK, thanks guys. I think Iíve got itÖ You simply loosen the two bolts that hold the entire plastic unit, pinwheel and all, and press downward (in my case), then retighten. Right? At first I removed the entire unit from the transom by removing the bolts completely. I did NOT remove the wire connection to the hull. There appeared to be no up/down adjustments I could make to the inside plastic molded parts. Then I just bolted the entire unit back in place onto the hull. After doing that, I noticed the plastic unit in fact did sit ever so slightly lower, maybe a 1/32Ē or 1/16Ē at the most. I could tell this by the previous dayís water marks. Perhaps thatís enough? Hope so. It may be awhile before Iím in the water again to find out.
    The GPS speedo units look really slick but a little pricey for just that bit of info. Wouldnít it be nice if the mfgrís. would just design-in a nice programmable map, et. al. GPS unit, right in the dash. Couple hundred more? Seems like a small price to pay for all the accurate info. and a clean, functional look. I think maybe Honda is going in that direction; no doubt others will be soon to follow. They should considering the trend toward distance touring.

+1

You're right

They should just go ahead and put in a Garmin 478 class GPS with
    the big color screen. You could also use that real estate for your
    info functions. Most of the big boats now run just flat screens with
    virtual gauges. Far cleaner, less connections, more reliability, etc.

We'll see it eventually!

Quote Originally Posted by tomgtv View Post
    They should just go ahead and put in a Garmin 478 class GPS with
    the big color screen. You could also use that real estate for your
    info functions. Most of the big boats now run just flat screens with
    virtual gauges. Far cleaner, less connections, more reliability, etc.

We'll see it eventually!
    Is there enough room to mount a small flat screen flush on the glovebox?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information