95 SL650 stopped running

Started my 95 sl650 for the first time this spring. last fall when i put it on the trailer for the last time it died on me. I thought i got something cought in the impeller but i didn't. after loaded tried it and started right up.

This spring it runs for about 2-3 minutes and then locks up. The starter won't turn it over. I removed the plugs and still nothing. I wait a few minutes and then it will turn over and run for another 30 secsonds and lock again. It will run with the middle spark plug out, then I noticed some small metal shaving fly out of the hole.

HELP how can i fix this?

Sounds like you have a cyclinder sizeing up. You will need to pull it apart and see how bad it is. I would bet to say that it is fuel related, either fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel cock valve, or carb. Let us know what you find.

Rodney

www.springbreak-florida.com rgard32's Avatar
    sounds like its seizing......metal shavings? NOT GOOD..is it premix? or oil injected?

It is oil injected. I looked into the carbs and i can see the oil jets are all wet and dripping. I pulled the head off and the cylinder walls are smooth and oily. The tiny metal shavings are on top of the piston. The piston itself looks really good. Should I take the 4 bolts off of the jug and pull it off? I was wondering if a reed could have failed and that is the metal i am seeing?

Reeds are plastic, and are not metal. You might have a bearing or ring going bad. Pull off all three domes and sent us some pics. I would go ahead and pull off the cyclinders as well. Cheap insurance if they are good, as if you keep running it this way you will have to have them honed. Let us know what you find. We will be glad to help you out.

Rodney

I will get some pics, but when i took the heads off everyhing looks clean and smooth on the top end. Except the metal pieces in the middle.

Thread Information