Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RXP only turning 7500 rpm ????

First I will say hi, and thanks for all the help I have recieved from this forum. I have been reading the posts for some time now when ever I have a question I can usualy find it here. So what I have now is my 2004 RXP will only turn 7500 rpm. It seems to run great though, it pulls hard from off idle all the way to 7500. I recently put on a set of Jerry's washers with new spring washers and needle bearings. My clutch slip moment was 15 NM. Also I changed the SC impeller to the RR Vortech impeller. And put on the solas 14/19 pump impeller. I changed out the plugs and gas also. Any help would be appreciated. Also the wear ring was changed last year.

Quote Originally Posted by joeschoonover74 View Post
    First I will say hi, and thanks for all the help I have recieved from this forum. I have been reading the posts for some time now when ever I have a question I can usualy find it here. So what I have now is my 2004 RXP will only turn 7500 rpm. It seems to run great though, it pulls hard from off idle all the way to 7500. I recently put on a set of Jerry's washers with new spring washers and needle bearings. My clutch slip moment was 15 NM. Also I changed the SC impeller to the RR Vortech impeller. And put on the solas 14/19 pump impeller. I changed out the plugs and gas also. Any help would be appreciated. Also the wear ring was changed last year.
    your prop needs tweeking.

+1
    Check your SC to the throttle body "U" hose. Mine slipped once & was leaking a little.

+1
    I belive i know what your problem is.

Only half of the knock sensor update was done. Last time you had it at the dealer they hooked it up to the BUDS computer. The knock sensor update flash was sent to the ECU, but they didn't also install the piggy back update harness between the knock sensor connector and the stock wire harness. Do this and your problem is solved!

*this is only specific to 04 RXP's and a very common problem after a visit to the dealer*

Jerry thanks, that sounds to be dead on. Was there any expiration on this recall? And was the tech supposed to do both parts of the recall or was reflashing the ecu the first part of this and then they later added a second part? The reason I ask this is I am a Mitsu VW tech and once we have completed a recall its finished so if some guy messes it up or just puts the part in his box and just flags the time we have heck going back and trying to get the manufacture to pay for doing it again. Thanks Again for your help.

+1
    No, there wont be any expiration. The tech was supposed to do both parts of the recall if he was aware that the BUDS computer automatically uploaded the ECU flash, but chances are he wasn't. All they have to do now is install the piggy back harness and you are done.

One question before I take this in to the dealer. Where would I look to see if the piggy back harness was installed or not.

+1
    Here it is on the side of the throttle body.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	recall.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	959.9 KB 
ID:	22778  

I am not finding that connector on mine it looks like a 1 pin type with a shielded wire like that of a crank angle sensor, am I correct? The pic is great but I can't seem to find mine. Does this go inline with the knock sensor? If so were is the sensor on this engine?

+1
    Joe, the knock sensor connector is located just to the left of the ECU. You will see 3 connectors there. Its the bottom connector. Looks to see if a piggy back harness is in place, i doubt it is and this is why you are having the low RPM issue. Here is a pic of what the piggy back harness looks like
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stock ecu with knock sensor update harness.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	22974  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information